Angkasa Pura I reported (11-Dec-2019) construction work on New Yogyakarta International Airport is 90% complete and is expected to be fully operational in Mar-2020. Angkasa Pura I president director Faik Fahmi said the transfer of domestic and international routes from Yogyakarta Adisucipto International Airport to New Yogyakarta is projected to occur in late Mar-2020, adding the number of stakeholders will mean the route transfer process will depend upon the readiness of each airline. The airport is presently working on completing the interior of the passenger terminal and the overpass which leads to the departure area on the third floor. [more - original PR - Indonesian]
In Europe the enormous publicity attracted by a sixteen year old Swedish girl has rattled the airline industry and is prompting government talk of aviation taxes to reduce flying.
- Will our region go through the same turmoil?
- Will there be a similar, Europop revolution?
- How will governments respond?
- When will airlines make carbon offsets mandatory?
The answers to these questions will be critical to aviation and to how corporates function in the near and medium term future.
Session Provocateur: CAPA – Centre for Aviation, Chairman Emeritus, Peter Harbison
The Qatar Aviation Aeropolitical and Regulatory Summit is a high level forum dedicated to addressing the latest development in aviation regulation, both within the Gulf Cooperation Council countries and globally.
Port of Seattle announced (11-Dec-2019) it is the first port in the US to adopt principles ensuring transparency of public facing facial recognition. Principles include:
- Justified: Biometrics to be used only for a clear and intended purpose and not for surveillance on large groups;
- Voluntary: Reasonable alternatives should be provided for US citizens not wishing to participate;
- Private: Data should be stored for no longer than required;
- Equitable: The technology should be reasonably accurate and systems should be in place to treat issues;
- Transparent: Biometrics use should be communicated to visitors and travellers;
- Lawful: Use of biometrics should comply with all laws. Reports on the technology should also be made public to ensure accountability;
- Ethical: Port staff and partners should act ethically when deploying technology or handling biometric data.
Commissioners created a working group and will develop the principles into policies that can be enforced and measured, effective 31-Mar-2020. Commissioners also clarified that no biometric technology will be implemented at Port facilities until Commissioners formally consider working group recommendations and develop policy by 30-Jun-2020. [more - original PR]
IATA lowered (11-Dec-2019) its global airline industry collective net profit forecast for 2019 from USD28 billion to USD25.9 billion. Key highlights of the industry's 2019 performance include:
- Industry revenue of USD838 billion;
- Industry operating expenses of USD796 billion;
- Return on invested capital of 5.7%;
- Net profit margin of 3.1%;
- Passenger numbers of 4.54 billion;
- Freight tonnes carried of 61.2 million, the lowest figure in three years;
- RPKs growth of 4.2%;
- Average net profit per departing passenger of USD5.70. [more - original PR]
Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport reported (11-Dec-2019) the following traffic highlights for Oct-2019:
- Passengers: 9.5 million, +2.7% year-on-year;
- Domestic: 8.6 million, +2.9%;
- International: 961,082, +1.3%;
- Cargo: 56,191 tonnes, -7.5%;
- Freight and Express: 52,952 tonnes, -7.8%;
- Domestic: 22,553 tonnes, +6.4%;
- International: 30,399 tonnes, -16.1%;
- Mail: 3239 tonnes, -2.4%;
- Freight and Express: 52,952 tonnes, -7.8%;
- Aircraft movements: 76,491, +0.9%;
- Domestic: 70,736, +1.3%;
- International: 5755, -4.1%. [more - original PR]
Flight Centre Travel Group (FCTG) expanded (11-Dec-2019) its global leadership team to increase focus on leisure and corporate travel growth. Details include:
- Chris Galanty appointed to CEO of FCTG's corporate business. Mr Galanty most recently served as head of the Europe, Middle East and Africa business (EMEA);
- Melanie Waters-Ryan appointed to CEO of its leisure business and will oversee The Travel Group. Ms Waters-Ryan most recently served as FCTG COO;
- Steve Norris appointed to EMEA MD;
- James Kavanagh appointed to Australia MD;
- Charlene Leiss appointed to Americas MD. [more - original PR]
EVA Air reported (11-Dec-2019) the following traffic highlights for Nov-2019:
- Passenger revenue: TWD8009 million (USD262.7 million), +3.5% year-on-year;
- Passengers: 1.1 million, +9.2%;
- Passenger load factor: 80.2%, -0.3ppt;
- Passenger yield: TWD1.93 (USD 6.3 cents), -2.4%;
- Cargo revenue: TWD2309 million (USD75.7 million), -11.5%;
- Cargo: 55,457 tons, +2.8%;
- Cargo load factor: 77.1%, -5.2ppts;
- Cargo yield: TWD7.81 (USD 25.6 cents), -9.9%. [more - original PR]
*Based on the conversion rate at TWD1 = USD0.0328
Want More News Like This?
- If the first two decades of the century were transformational for the aviation industry, the 2020s will be revolutionary.