Bonza CEO Tim Jordan, speaking at CAPA Live from Puerto Rico October 2021, stated (13-Oct-2021) he anticipates Bonza will have no impacts on existing carriers in Australia in "any significant way". Mr Jordan added: "I guess... in terms of the point of four jet operators in the country... 21 years ago when Virgin Blue started... since that point, the population of Australia has grown by a third".
Sydney: CAPA Australia Pacific Aviation & Corporate Travel Summit & CAPA Live December (Sydney & Virtual)
This year’s CAPA Summit is a hybrid event which includes an in-person delegation in Sydney for local industry participants, as well as a virtual live stream for interstate and global viewers who are unable to attend.
- CAPA - Centre for Aviation, EMEA Content Editor, Richard Maslen
- Air Astana, President & CEO, Peter Foster
CAPA Live is the most sought-after monthly global aviation event. Taking place on the second Wednesday of each month, thousands of industry colleagues from across the globe tune in for their monthly dose of aviation and travel news, analysis, and in-depth interviews with industry leaders. Register here to be part of our growing community.
Madagascar's Government outlined (13/14-Oct-2021) plans for the recovery of Air Madagascar. The government stated the airline's debt stands at approximately USD80 million, due in part to the cost of leasing ATR aircraft from Air Austral. The government also reported mismanagement of the carrier and noted the size of the airline's workforce exceeds its requirements. An audit will be undertaken of all the airline's debts and the government stated contracts may be terminated. [more - original PR - Malagasy] [more - original PR - French]
Madagascar's Government outlined (13/14-Oct-2021) plans to progressively reopen the country's borders for air travel. Details include:
- Madagascar-Mauritius services operated by Air Mauritius and Madagascar-Reunion services operated by Air Austral were approved to resume on 23-Oct-2021;
- Long haul services to and from Europe will resume on 06-Nov-2021. The resumption of services between Antananarivo and Europe was approved for Air Madagascar and Air France. Charters from Milan and Rome to Andoany were also approved;
- The overall frequency of air services to Madagascar will be limited;
- All travellers entering Madagascar will be required to complete a COVID-19 PCR test. The cost of the EUR25 test will be included in airfares. Travellers must remain in isolation until they receive their test result. Those who receive a positive result must remain in isolation for 14 days. [more - original PR - Malagasy] [more - original PR - French]
UK's Government stated (14-Oct-2021) from 24-Oct-2021, fully vaccinated passengers and most under 18s arriving in England from countries not on the red list can take a cheaper lateral flow test, instead of a PCR test, on or before day two of their arrival into the UK. These can be booked from 22-Oct-2021. The change will come into effect for those returning from half term breaks with lateral flow tests available to book through private providers listed on gov.uk. Anyone who tests positive will need to self-isolate and take a confirmatory PCR test. PCR tests can be accessed free of charge by ordering in the usual way through NHS Test and Trace. Providers will be expected to advise people to self-isolate and direct people towards the NHS Test and Trace booking page. [more - original PR]
New South Wales' (NSW) Premier Dominic Perrottet stated (15-Oct-2021) as of 01-Nov-2021, the NSW Government will remove quarantine requirements and caps for overseas arrivals who the Commonwealth Government recognises as fully vaccinated with a TGA-approved vaccine. Further advice about testing requirements for arrivals will be provided in the coming days. Fully vaccinated travellers already in quarantine will also complete their quarantine requirements on 01-Nov-2021, even if it is less than 14 days. Overseas arrivals who are not fully vaccinated will be capped at 210 people per week and will be required to undergo mandatory 14 day hotel quarantine. Travel between Greater Sydney, including the Blue Mountains, Wollongong, Shellharbour and the Central Coast, and Regional NSW will also be permitted from 01-Nov-2021, to allow people in the regions more time to receive their second vaccine. [more - original PR]
Want More News Like This?
- If the first two decades of the century were transformational for the aviation industry, the 2020s will be revolutionary.