Airlines for Europe (A4E) reported (10-Jun-2021) the cost of carbon allowances under the EU's emissions trading system (ETS) has more than doubled compared with pre-pandemic levels and increased 140% since May-2020. Air travel is the only transport sector included in the ETS scheme, with airlines purchasing carbon credits to help offset their emissions since 2012. A4E managing director Thomas Reynaert said the COVID-19 crisis is a "clear opportunity for both industry and politicians to join forces and build our sector back greener and smarter", but proposals for meaningful reforms "continue to be thwarted by national interests". [more - original PR]
CAPA’s events attract the highest calibre of thought-leaders in the industry. This includes strong C-Level executive representation from all types of business models – from full service, LCCs and hybrid airlines.
Advanced air mobility is a market largely being driven by startups new to aviation challenging the “business as usual” approach to air travel. Honeywell Aerospace is one of the first, and biggest, of the established system suppliers to fully embrace this new industry, seeing it as a catalyst to bring an entirely new generation of avionics, in terms of capability and cost, to the wider aviation market that it already services. How does Honeywell see this new sector evolving and how it is placing its bets? Join us to find out.
CAPA Live is the most sought-after monthly global aviation event. Taking place on the second Wednesday of each month, thousands of industry colleagues from across the globe tune in for their monthly dose of aviation and travel news, analysis, and in-depth interviews with industry leaders. Register here to be part of our growing community.
Burgas Airport, via its official Facebook account, announced (10-Jun-2021) Wizz Air opened a seasonal base at the airport on 10-Jun-2021. As previously reported by CAPA, the LCC plans to base one A320 aircraft at the airport from 10-Jun-2021 to 12-Sep-2021 and will launch seven new services from Burgas to Dortmund, Eindhoven, Kyiv, Liverpool, Poznan, Tel Aviv and Turku in Jun-2021.
Airlines for Europe (A4E) reported (10-Jun-2021) its members reiterated demands that policymakers "put sovereignty interests aside" to adopt a more ambitious reform of the Single European Sky (SES) regulation. A4E managing director Thomas Reynaert said it makes "no sense environmentally or economically" to invest in new aircraft or sustainable aviation fuel and "at the same time, continue to delay the long-overdue introduction of more fuel-efficient airspace". A4E stated EU member states agreed earlier in Jun-2021 to roll back proposed reforms in favour of measures which would benefit their monopoly-owned ANSPs instead. [more - original PR]
Airlines for Europe (A4E) reported (10-Jun-2021) airline CEOs attending its aviation summit called on European governments to restore freedom of movement for citizens and gradually lift all travel restrictions for summer 2021, citing rising vaccination rates and tools such as the EU's Digital COVID Certificate system. A4E expects EU ambassadors to finalise council recommendations on a coordinated lifting of travel restrictions in Europe during a meeting on 11-Jun-2021. A4E is calling for the adoption of updates to the latest proposal, including the following:
- Vaccinated people can travel restriction free;
- People who have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 180 days should be able to travel without a test or being subjected to quarantine measures;
- People who have tested negative should be exempted from additional tests and/or quarantine measures;
- EU member states must adopt a uniform approach to ease travel restrictions, accepting either a negative PCR test 72 hours before arrival or 48 hours in the case of rapid antigen tests and no testing needed from non-risk areas;
- Unified rules for children travelling with exempt parents: Minors accompanying their parent(s) should not be forced to test/quarantine when their parents are not required to do so. Children under six years old should be exempt from all measures;
- 14 day incidence rate thresholds in the ECDC map should be increased from 50 to 75 for orange areas;
- Vaccination, recovery from COVID-19 or a negative test must be proven by producing a Digital Covid-19 Certificate (DCC) or by other means, until the DCC is available. [more - original PR]
Loganair, via its official Facebook and LinkedIn accounts, announced (10-Jun-2021) its 'GreenSkies' initiative as a commitment to carbon neutrality by 2040. The programme includes immediate action to offset carbon emissions from all services and further investment in new technologies to assist the carrier in reaching its goal. A GBP1 mandatory 'GreenSkies' charge will be added to all Loganair services, effective 10-Jun-2021.
Air Montenegro commenced (10-Jun-2021) regular commercial operations on 10-Jun-2021 with the launch Tivat-Belgrade and Podgorica-Belgrade services. As previously reported by CAPA, the airline plans to commence services from Tivat to Ljubljana and Banja Luka on 27-Jun-2021 and Podgorica-Frankfurt service on 15-Jul-2021. [more - original PR - Croatian]
Want More News Like This?
- If the first two decades of the century were transformational for the aviation industry, the 2020s will be revolutionary.