- Open new base at Berlin Tegel Airport with four aircraft from Apr-2019 with two new routes, bringing the total to 15 at Tegel;
- 24 new routes. Total routes in Germany is 280. New routes include:
- Berlin Schoenefeld: Six times weekly Edinburgh, twice weekly Faro, four times weekly Kiev and twice weekly Marrakech;
- Berlin Tegel: Twice weekly Kefallinia and twice weekly Paphos;
- Baden-Baden: Twice weekly Cagliari and twice weekly Marrakech;
- Cologne: Three times weekly Bordeaux, twice weekly Knock, twice weekly Palermo and twice weekly Zadar;
- Frankfurt: Twice daily Dublin service;
- Hamburg: Three times weekly Krakow and twice weekly Zadar;
- Memmingen: Twice weekly Banja Luka, twice weekly Brindisi, twice weekly Edinburgh, twice weekly Lviv, twice weekly Marrakech and twice weekly Tel Aviv;
- Nuremberg: Twice weekly Marrakech and twice weekly Zadar;
- Stuttgart: Twice weekly Marrakech. [more - original PR - German]
David Doctor, VP strategy & marketing, airlines, Amadeus, highlights how the travel technology specialist is already active within the Low Cost Long Haul space and working to help airlines on their digitalisation journey to stay relevant in both today’s and tomorrow’s emerging marketplace.
The summit will bring together up to 30 CEOs of leading carriers based in Asia, as well as those serving the world’s most vibrant aviation region. It will also have a dedicated day on corporate travel focusing on the biggest corporate travel spend: air
Leipzig/Halle Airport announced (17-Oct-2018) plans to launch a EUR210 million expansion of DHL Express' apron 4 freight hub. The expansion is in response to "ever increasing traffic volumes" driven in particular by e-commerce, with freight volumes increasing from 150,000 daily parcels in 2010 to 350,000 in 2018. The scope of the project covers an area of 67 hectares, including:
- Expansion of aircraft parking capacity by up to 36 new stands;
- Creation of two taxiway connections to the south runway;
- Construction of two new taxiways serving the northeastern and southwestern areas of the south runway;
- Construction of an empty container terminal;
- Secured parking areas dedicated to truck parking;
- Construction of an MRO hangar for small aircraft.
The apron extension is "essential for the longterm continued operation" of the DHL Leipzig freight hub, and will support the cargo carrier's plans to integrate A330F into its fleet, the airport noted. Leipzig/Halle Airport will submit documentation to the Land Directorate of Saxony in early 2019. [more - original PR - German]
India's Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA), via its official Twitter account, confirmed (17-Oct-2018) "Government plans to bring in Cape Town Convention Act for aviation sector". As previously reported by CAPA, MoCA plans to introduce the 2018 Cape Town Convention Bill to facilitate the implementation of the aircraft equipment protocol of the 2001 Cape Town Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment. MoCA stated: "This act will enable cheaper and easier financing of aircraft".
Aeromexico CEO Andres Conesa, speaking on Aeromexico's 3Q2018 financial results call, stated (17-Oct-2018) the carrier will "take immediate action" to adjust to the current market environment, with a "rational and disciplined approach to growth". The carrier plans to retire three Embraer 170 and two Boeing 737-700 and a further three aircraft retirement is "under consideration depending on financial performance". In addition, the carrier is considering the following network adjustments:
With these changes, capacity (ASK) growth "will remain flat in 2019 compared to 2018".
Jazeera Airways opened (17-Oct-2018) a 470sqm duty free shopping area at Kuwait International Airport terminal 5 in partnership with Dufry and That Al Salasil. The store offers more than 3000 items across food, beauty, travel accessories and jewellery. Jazeera Airways CEO Rohit Ramachandran said there are "more services and features ready to roll out at the new terminal in the coming months". [more - original PR]
SKYWAY Costa Rica commenced (17-Oct-2018) operations, offering services including scheduled operations, charters, ground transportation, car rental and helicopter flights. The carrier operates with LET L410 UVP E20 aircraft from San Jose to Puerto Jiminez, Drake, Arenal, Liberia, Manuel Antonio, Quepos, Tamarindo and Bocas Del Toro Airport in Panama. Managing director Kenneth Roqhuett stated: "I lead our team with a safety culture I learned in the US military as an aviation officer, ensuring all operational and maintenance facets are audited and monitored to achieve the highest level of service and safety". SKYWAY CR provides an array of transportation options including concierge service for hotels, restaurants, tours, spas and all inclusive vacation packages bookings. [more - original PR]