9-Oct-2012 12:09 PM

Munich Airport reports record pax in first nine months of 2012

Germany’s Munich Airport reported (08-Oct-2012) record passenger numbers for the first nine months of 2012 with a more than 2% year-on-year increase in passenger numbers to 29.2 million between Jan-2012 and Sep-2012. The average aircraft load factor also reached a new record of 75% during the period. The airport attributed the main factor driving growth in passenger numbers to international traffic. International passenger numbers at the airport increased 3.6% to 17.5 million with traffic on routes to and from Eastern Europe and the CIS states up 13%, and accounted for 760,000 of the passenger total in the continental segment. In addition, routes to and from Egypt and Tunisia have rebounded strongly, with gains in total passengers of 26% and 53%, respectively, after the previous year's sharp drop amid the unrest of the Arab Spring. Intercontinental traffic at Munich Airport also continues to show healthy growth, with an increase of approximately 2% to a total of 4.3 million passengers. UAE traffic increased 24% while traffic on Gulf routes increased 26% to 820,000. Passenger traffic on routes to Japan was up by 22%. Traffic highlights for first nine months of 2012 are as follows:

  • Passenger numbers: 29.2 million, +2.1% year-on-year;
  • Cargo volume: 204,100 tons, -4.8%;
  • Aircraft movements: 302,360, -2.7%. [more – original PR]

Want More News Like This?

CAPA Membership gives you access to all news and analysis on the site, along with access to many areas of our comprehensive databases and toolsets.
Find Out More