Tigerair Australia CEO Rob Sharp, speaking at the CAPA Australia Pacific Aviation Summit, stated (09-Aug-2013) the carrier plans to add one A320 in 4Q2013 and one A320 in 1Q2014. These aircraft account for the last two of the 10 A320 deliveries slated for Tiger Airways Holdings in the fiscal year ending 31-Mar-2014 (FY2014). Singapore-based Tiger Airways Holding previously said that of the group’s 10 deliveries for FY2014 that Tigerair Singapore would receive six aircraft, Tigerair Mandala would receive two aircraft and the other two had not yet been allocated. Tiger Airways Holdings recently completed the sale of a 60% stake in Tigerair Australia to Virgin Australia, leaving Tiger with a 40% share. Tigerair Australia currently operates 11 A320s entirely in the Australian domestic market. The carrier is currently reviewing network options, including opportunities for deploying the two additional aircraft that will be added to the fleet in late 2013 and early 2014.
Tigerair Australia to add two A320s late 2013/early 2014
You may also be interested in the following articles...
Tigerair Singapore 2017 outlook: fleet expansion resumes as brand disappears, transit traffic grows
Singapore based LCC Tigerair faces a year of transition in 2017 as it combines with the medium/long haul LCC Scoot. Tigerair and Scoot aim to end 2017 with a single operator's certificate and a single brand as the Tigerair name disappears from the Singapore marketplace, after an at times tumultuous 13 year run.
The Tigerair brand will remain in Australia and Taiwan, at least for the time being. However, the Tigerair Group – which was absorbed by the Singapore Airlines (SIA) Group in early 2016 – no longer owns stakes in any overseas affiliates and is now focused entirely on growing in its home market of Singapore.
The Tigerair Singapore operation has not grown in three years, actually reducing the size of its fleet in response to overcapacity and in a bid to improve profitability. Tigerair Singapore is now profitable again, and expansion of its A320 fleet will resume in late 2017, ending a three year hiatus.
Tigerair Australia Pt 1: Virgin Australia LCC subsidiary completes transformation with first profit
Tigerair Australia has completed a challenging turnaround, with its first annual profit. The LCC, now a fully owned subsidiary of Virgin Australia, was profitable for the first time in its nine-year history in the year ending 30-Jun-2016.
Synergies with Virgin Australia, operational improvements and network adjustments have contributed to the transformation. Virgin Australia has joined its rival Qantas in employing an effective two brand strategy, with Tigerair Australia focused entirely on the leisure sector.
This is the first in a two-part series of reports on the recent performance and outlook for Tigerair Australia. This article will focus on its transformation and newfound profitability. The second will look at potential areas for future long-term growth, including in the international market and with partnerships.