Dubai International Airport's Aug-2011 pax traffic flat, cargo down
- Passenger numbers: 4,019,230, +0.8%;
- Cargo volume: 182,781, -7.9%;
- Aircraft movements: 25,845, +2.6%.
- The largest regional traffic growth in August in terms of total passenger numbers was recorded on routes to and from AGCC (+42,385), North America (+26,465), the Indian Subcontinent (+14,363) and Russia and CIS (+10,143);
- Middle Eastern passengers were down (-65,000) due to the affects of Ramadan along with ongoing instability in some destinations in the region;
- Western European traffic, which usually offsets the drop in Middle Eastern traffic during the month of Ramadan, remained flat (+102) resulting in a modest year-on-year percentage increase in traffic;
- On a country level, the largest gains were seen in traffic to and from Saudi Arabia (+52,407), US (+26,735), Bangladesh (+16,156), Thailand (+11,482) and Ethiopia (+10,549).
Dubai Airports: "It’s clear four million passengers per month is the new standard at Dubai International...We are on track to meet our projection for 51 million passengers by year end," Paul Griffiths, CEO. Source: company statement, 25-Sep-2011.