Spring Airlines Japan announced (05-Sep-2013) it has submitted an application with Japan MLITT to operate daily from Tokyo Narita to Saga, Takamatsu and Hiroshima from the end of May-2013, served with 189-seat Boeing 737-800 aircraft. Spring Airlines Japan president Hiroshi Ugai, as reported by local media sources such as Travel Vision, Nikkei, Sankei and Aviation Wire, said these destinations are important to network construction, adding he believes the three destinations are the best choices at present with their attractive tourism resources and accessibility. Mr Hiroshi also noted that despite the limited capacity at Tokyo Narita, the carrier wanted to take advantage of a large market in the metropolitan area. The carrier also said it is targeting mainly leisure passengers from Japan and China on the proposed routes, adding it hopes to be a bridge China and Japan. Spring Airlines currently operates from Shanghai Pudong to Takamatsu, Ibaraki and Saga with the carrier noting that it Spring Airlines would not withdraw from its Shanghai Pudong-Ibaraki service. Spring Airlines Japan was established on 07-Sep-2012 with JPY1500 capital, which it plans to increase to JPY6000 million when it receives approval to commence operations. Spring Airlines holds a 33% shareholding in the carrier with the remaining 67% held by 10 Japanese investors including IT companies and financial institutions. Spring Airlines Japan chairman Wang Wei also commented that the carrier has not decided on fare levels but it will take into account the current level of LCC competition in Japan’s domestic market. Airline president Hiroshi Ugai added “we will work to cut unnecessary costs to offer low fares.” [more - original PR - Japanese]
Spring Airlines Japan files application to commence domestic operations in May-2014
You may also be interested in the following articles...
Bombardier C Series: record orders in 2016 as both variants finally enter service
The first commercial flight of the Bombardier CS300 on 14-Dec-2016, operated by airBaltic from Riga to Amsterdam, will be a major milestone for the Canadian manufacturer's new C Series aircraft programme. Three CS100 aircraft are already in service with SWISS, so the airBaltic flight will mean that both variants of the C Series are finally in commercial operation.
The programme is Bombardier's first wholly new aircraft development, aimed at the 100 to 150-seat market segment and offering advantages of fuel efficiency, cabin space, noise and emissions. Bombardier once targeted 2013 for entry into service, but has been dogged by problems and delays. In 2015, Bombardier seemed to have overstretched itself. The C Series received no new orders during the year and Bombardier was forced to seek investment from the Province of Québec to rescue the programme.
In 2016 the company has recovered to win a net 117 new orders, its highest annual total, bringing the programme total to 360. However, competition is cut-throat, with Airbus, Boeing and Embraer all having new developments of existing products in the same space as the C Series. Bombardier's breakthrough orders from Air Canada and Delta in 2016 required heavy price discounts.
China-Japan aviation: LCCs Peach, Jetstar Japan gain traffic rights, raising overcapacity concerns
Jetstar Japan and Peach Aviation have received air traffic rights for China which, if utilised, would grow the Japanese LCC footprint in China – Japan's largest visitor source market. Spring Japan became the first Japanese LCC to serve China in Feb-2016. The absence of Japanese LCCs in China may seem surprising, but there are regulatory hurdles, market access questions and conservatism at Japanese LCCs. AirAsia Japan, launching in 2017, will likely leverage the group's China experience; it is the largest non-greater China airline group serving China.
The prospect of further growth comes as incumbents cite overcapacity. What was once a profitable market now only produces returns in the peaks. All Nippon Airways, the largest airline between Japan and China, reported lower revenue on the back of "a deterioration in the supply-demand environment". Spring China has told Bloomberg that some competitors "aren't well-prepared", and will be "phased out". Overall Japanese LCC routes and capacity may be small but will be watched by Chinese airlines, ever mindful of the need to find new business models.