Eurocontrol: Network Operations Report – March 2018
Traffic in March 2018 increased by 2.6% compared to March 2017 and was close to the baseline forecast. Nine states added more than 50 flights daily to the network with Spain, Turkey and Poland as the top contributor.
NM estimates that some 6,600 flights were cancelled during March due to Storm Emma. This represents 0.8% of expected March traffic.
Total ATFM delays increased by 4.4% in March 2018 compared to March 2017. En-route ATFM delays (17,276 min/daily) decreased by 5.4%; airport ATFM delays (12,740 min/daily) increased by 21.3% mainly due to weather.
- French ATC industrial action from 21 March to 23 March generated over 99,000 minutes of ATFM delay. NM estimates there were 1,300 fewer flights during the action;
- Italian ATC industrial action on 08 March generated over 8,000 minutes of ATFM delay. NM estimates there were 260 fewer flights during the action;
- En-route ATC staffing issues in Karlsruhe and Maastricht UACs;
- En-route capacity delays in Karlsruhe, London, Canarias and Langen ACCs;
- ATM interface transition in Bordeaux/Madrid ACCs.
- Seasonal weather impacted operations at Istanbul/Atatürk, Amsterdam/Schiphol, London/Heathrow and Geneva airports;
- There were capacity issues at Istanbul/Atatürk and Amsterdam/Schiphol airports;
- Naples airport became fully operational A-CDM on 27 March;
- Copenhagen airport became the first A-CDM airport to exchange data with NM via business-to-business (B2B) web services on 21 March;
- Menorca airport became fully operational Advanced ATC tower on 20 March.
The average en-route ATFM delay per flight in the NM area in March was 0.64 min/flt, which is above the corresponding monthly guideline value of 0.23 min/flt. The average YTD en-route ATFM delay per flight in 2018 in the NM area is 0.39 min/flt which is above the corresponding guideline value of 0.19 min/flt.
Refer to full documentation in the attachments box below.
There are files associated with this article. You can download them below.
You need to be logged in to download files.