Deutsche Lufthansa AG
Deutsche Lufthansa AG is a global aviation group which operates in five primary business segments: Passenger air transport, logistics, MRO, catering and IT services. Originally established in Jan-1926, Deutsche Lufthansa AG maintains its Corporate headquarters in Cologne, Germany while several departments are located in the Lufthansa Aviation Center at Frankfurt Airport. The company is listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (FWB: LHA).
Although Lufthansa is involved in a range of industry segments, its core business is the provision of passenger air transport services, with the collective passenger airline group accounting for over two-thirds of the company's total revenue. These services are delivered through its numerous airline subsidiaries.
Deutsche Lufthansa AG holds majority stakes in a number of airlines including:
- Lufthansa (100%, since 1954)
- Lufthansa CityLine GmbH (100%, since Mar-1992)
- Lufthansa Cargo AG (100%, since 1994)
- Air Dolomiti S.p.A. (100%, since Jul-2003)
- Eurowings Luftverkehrs AG (100%, since 1-Apr-2004)
- Eurowings Europe GmbH (23-Jun-2016)
- Swiss International Air Lines (Swiss Global Air Lines) (100%, since 1-Jul-2007)
- Edelweiss Air AG (100%, since Nov-2008)
- Germanwings GmbH (100% since 1-Jan-2009)
- Austrian Airlines AG (100%, since Sep-2009)
- Tyrolean Airways Tiroler Luftfahrt GmbH (merged with Austrian on 01-Apr-2015)
- Brussels Airlines (exercised call option to acquire 55% stake from SN Airholdings, as of Jan-2017, the carrier is wholly-owned by Deutsche Lufthansa)
Deutsche Lufthansa AG also holds minority stakes in a number of airlines including:
- SunExpress (50%, since Apr-1990);
- Aerologic GmbH (50%, since 19-Jun-2009).
The airline group launched a consolidation programme in 2016, as it sought to unify its LCC operations under the Eurowings Group. Members of the new LCC brand comprise of the following airlines:
- Eurowings Europe;
- Germanwings, and;
- Brussels Airlines.
Lufthansa Group stated it plans to realign Eurowings to a short haul and point-to-point carrier, transferring long haul operations to network operators under the airline group by the end of 2020.
CAPA Profiles help you identify new business opportunities and make better business decisions, by providing accurate and up-to-date data on airports, airlines, suppliers, investors, MROs, lessors and countries/territories around the world. Each profile offers comprehensive news and analysis, as well as the ability to drill down into data on schedules, capacity share, fleet, traffic, financial results and more.Become a CAPA Member
Our full profiles are only available to CAPA Members. CAPA Membership provides exclusive access to the information you need to monitor the competitive landscape and guide your organisation towards success.
It’s ideal for industry analysts, managers and executives who need a snapshot of the latest news, analysis and data from our global team, with the ability to export or email PDF reports in one click.
- 5000+ airports
- 3000+ airlines
- 1600+ suppliers
- 800+ airport investors
- 250+ countries/territories and regions
- And more
CAPA Membership also gives you access to a customised selection of more than 400 global News Briefs every weekday, as well as a comprehensive Data Centre, Analysis Reports and Research Publications. You can also choose from our range of premium add-ons, including MRO Matrix, Route Maps, Fleet Data and more.