Deutsche Lufthansa AG
Deutsche Lufthansa AG is a global aviation group which operates in five primary business segments: Passenger air transport, logistics, MRO, catering and IT services. Originally established in Jan-1926, Deutsche Lufthansa AG maintains its Corporate headquarters in Cologne, Germany while several departments are located in the Lufthansa Aviation Center at Frankfurt Airport. The company is listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (FWB: LHA).
Although Lufthansa is involved in a range of industry segments, its core business is the provision of passenger air transport services, with the collective passenger airline group accounting for over two-thirds of the company's total revenue. These services are delivered through its numerous airline subsidiaries.
Deutsche Lufthansa AG holds majority stakes in a number of airlines including:
- Lufthansa (100%, since 1954)
- Lufthansa CityLine GmbH (100%, since Mar-1992)
- Lufthansa Cargo AG (100%, since 1994)
- Air Dolomiti S.p.A. (100%, since Jul-2003)
- Eurowings Luftverkehrs AG (100%, since 1-Apr-2004)
- Eurowings Europe GmbH (23-Jun-2016)
- Swiss International Air Lines (Swiss Global Air Lines) (100%, since 1-Jul-2007)
- Edelweiss Air AG (100%, since Nov-2008)
- Germanwings GmbH (100% since 1-Jan-2009)
- Austrian Airlines AG (100%, since Sep-2009)
- Tyrolean Airways Tiroler Luftfahrt GmbH (merged with Austrian on 01-Apr-2015)
- Brussels Airlines (exercised call option to acquire 55% stake from SN Airholdings, as of Jan-2017, the carrier is wholly-owned by Deutsche Lufthansa)
Deutsche Lufthansa AG also holds minority stakes in a number of airlines including:
- SunExpress (50%, since Apr-1990);
- Aerologic GmbH (50%, since 19-Jun-2009).
The airline group launched a consolidation programme in 2016, as it sought to unify its LCC operations under the Eurowings Group. Members of the new LCC brand comprise of the following airlines:
- Eurowings Europe;
- Germanwings, and;
- Brussels Airlines (integration is scheduled for completion in 2018).
Deutsche Lufthansa AG plans to acquire regional carrier Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter mbH (LGW) and NIKI from Air Berlin Group for a combined purchase price of EUR210 million, following negotiations between the two German airline holding companies. The acquisition is subject to European Commission approval.
To have full CAPA Profile access you need a CAPA Membership
Your portal for aviation data
CAPA Profiles contain the most up to date news and analysis plus a comprehensive range of timely and reliable data including schedules, capacity share (passenger and cargo), fleet summary, traffic results (monthly and annual), financial results and more. Access Profiles for the latest statistics and insights on airlines, airports, suppliers, countries and regions.
I didn't realise all this traffic data was here. The data is much more up-to-date than the other results we usually use - I'll be using this from now on.- Air Services Development Manager, Airport Member.
Phone: +61 2 9241 3200 | Email: email@example.com