My Account Menu

CAPA Login

Register to trial CAPA Membership!

Sorry Alaska, Virgin America IS American


As much as Alaska Airlines did not want to hear it, the Department of Transportation ruled on Friday that Virgin America remains a US citizen and is under the active control of US citizens. The ruling re-affirms its 2007 certification when the carrier first applied to begin service. [1926 words]

Unlock the following content in this report:


  • Agrees to seek new capital infusion from US-based entities
  • VAI Partners holds 75%; Virgin Group the remaining 25%
  • “LCCs seen as the best quality carriers” in the US: Virgin America CEO
  • Reports first operating profit in 3Q2009; expects annual profit in 2010
  • Significant top line progress
  • “Record” load factors
  • But cash levels shrink
  • Sets sights for more growth
  • To add six to eight aircraft in 2010
  • A higher degree of certainty now exists for Virgin America

Graphs and data:

  • Virgin America financial highlights for three months ended 30-Sep-2009
  • Virgin America operating margins: 4Q2007 to 3Q2009
  • Virgin America revenue growth and cost growth: 4Q07 to 3Q09
  • Virgin America revenue per ASM and cost per ASM: 4Q07 to 3Q09
  • Virgin America ASM growth and passenger load factor: 4Q07 to 3Q09
  • Virgin America fleet: Jan-2010
Please login to continue reading or find out more about CAPA Membership below.
This content is exclusively for CAPA Membership Subscribers

CAPA Membership gives you the latest aviation news and alerts, access to CAPA articles, reports, and our leading aviation data with optional premium add-ons.