Finnair Mar-2011 load factors crumble
Finnair's Mar-2011 traffic has been heavily affected by the disaster in Japan, with load factors down 9 percentage points on this time last year. Overall, passenger traffic rose 1.1%, thanks in part to double-digit growth in domestic traffic. Traffic to/from Asia was up 1.6%, but European traffic matched 2010 levels, due to a fall in feeder traffic.
Finnair traffic highlights in Mar-2011:
- Passenger numbers: 691,800, +1.1% year-on-year;
- Passenger load factor: 72.4%, -9.0 ppts;
- Domestic: 57.2%, -8.4 ppts;
- Europe: 62.1%, -8.0 ppts;
- North America: 75.9%, -9.2 ppts;
- Asia Pacific: 74.5%, -12.2 ppts;
- Cargo volume: 12,862 tonnes, +39%;
- Cargo load factor: 65.3%, -10.8 ppts.
Finnair shares traded 0.5% lower on Tuesday.
In general, European airline shares were moderately stronger, although Dart Group, owner of Jet2.com, was the major exception, falling 4.2%.
International Airline Group shares lead the day, up 4.5%, while easyJet rose 4.3% and Aer Lingus shares were 4.2% stronger.
Selected European airline share price movements (% change): 12-Apr-2011