Germany's Flughafen München GmbH (FMG) and Lufthansa announced (22-Dec-2010) plans to invest EUR650 million to construct a satellite terminal that would expand annual capacity by 11 million passengers. Terminal 2, to which the structure would be attached, is expected to reach a maximum capacity of 25 million passengers in 2011, meaning the extension would raise its capacity by 44%. The airport will cover 60% of the project cost with Lufthansa to cover the remaining 40%. The new satellite building was designed as an expansion of the existing baggage sorting hall on the apron to the east of Terminal 2. According to the plans on the drawing board, the elongated satellite building will have two passenger levels and 52 gates. The creation of the 27 new aircraft park positions adjacent to the new facility will more than double the number of non-remote aircraft stands serving Terminal 2. The planned development still requires final approval from the budget committee of the Bavarian state parliament and the Munich city council. Under current expectations, the new passenger handling facility could go into operation in 2015. In addition to the construction of the satellite building, the governing bodies of FMG also voted to improve the baggage transport facility to boost its capacity in line with the higher passenger handling capabilities. Lufthansa Chairman and CEO Wolfgang Mayrhuber hailed the decision as "a clear commitment by Lufthansa to Munich". [more]
Lufthansa and Munich Airport to invest EUR650m in satellite terminal
You may also be interested in the following articles...
Eurowings: new Munich routes outsourced to airberlin. Frankfurt hub may be next for Lufthansa's LCC
When Lufthansa began to transfer point-to-point short haul routes to its LCC Germanwings in 2013 it specifically excluded routes to/from its two main hubs at Munich and Frankfurt. Although its two main hubs have been less penetrated by LCCs than many other major European airports, this is changing. Moreover, competitor LCCs are growing rapidly across Germany and in other Lufthansa Group home markets. Even Air France-KLM established a Munich base for its LCC Transavia in summer 2016 (but this is under review). More ominously, Ryanair is to enter Frankfurt in summer 2017.
Lufthansa first revealed in summer 2016 that it was considering opening a Munich base for its LCC operations, now grouped under the Eurowings brand. On 21-Dec-2016 it announced plans to base four A320 family aircraft at Munich for 32 Eurowings routes from summer 2017.
Perhaps it was always inevitable that Eurowings would eventually extend to selected routes from Frankfurt and Munich, but agreements with pilots were understood to have limited the group's flexibility. Confirmation that the operation of Eurowings routes at Munich will be outsourced to airberlin under wet lease appears to have loosened this restriction. Eurowings routes from Frankfurt are also being considered.
Lufthansa folds Brussels Airlines into Eurowings, keeping dual brands. LH has many balls in the air
On 15-Dec-2016 Lufthansa’s Executive Board formally decided to exercise its call option for the 55% of shares it does not already own in the parent company of Brussels Airlines. The deal will close by the beginning of Jan-2017. It had been expected that Lufthansa would fold Brussels Airlines, at least partly, into its Eurowings low cost brand. Lufthansa has now confirmed that the new acquisition will join Eurowings and be fully integrated into the Group as of 2018.
Nevertheless, there are clear differences between Brussels Airlines' business model and that of Eurowings. Brussels Airlines is a network airline (and a Star Alliance member), while Eurowings is primarily a point-to-point airline. Furthermore, Brussels Airlines is not low cost in CASK terms, although, ominously, its unit cost is below Eurowings'.
Strangely, and perhaps tellingly, Brussels Airlines will retain its brand while adding that of Eurowings. This hints at the tension between Lufthansa's urge to expand Eurowings rapidly to compete with LCCs and the necessity to work out exactly how Brussels Airlines can fit into its low cost operation. Perhaps the delay between completion of the Brussels Airlines acquisition and its integration into Eurowings will give time for further refinements to the model. In short, Lufthansa has a lot of balls in the air. Where they will fall will be critical to its future.