- Passenger numbers: 5.0 million, +3.9% year-on-year;
- Cargo volume: 372,000 tonnes, +7.6%;
- Aircraft movements: 30,790, +5.1%;
- Passenger numbers: 56.5 million, +4.7%;
- Cargo volume: 4.0 million tonnes, +2.2%;
- Aircraft movements: 351,655, +5.3%. [more - original PR]
Hong Kong Airport attributed (13-Jan-2013) the growth in passenger numbers to travel by Hong Kong residents, which increased 7%. Passenger traffic to/from Southeast Asia and Taiwan performed particularly well. Growth in Dec-2012 cargo throughput was primarily due to an 8% year-on-year growth in exports. During the month, cargo throughput to/from North America and the mainland China outperformed other key regions. Airport Authority Hong Kong CEO Stanley Hui noted "despite the challenging global economic environment, regional economic growth continued to drive traffic increases at HKIA in 2012. This past year we welcomed nine new airlines and expanded our global network to about 170 destinations." Looking forward into 2013, Mr Hui said whilst the financial woes in the Eurozone will probably continue and the weak market conditions in the US remain for some time, GDP growth forecasts for the Chinese Mainland and South East Asia are 8.1% and 5.2%, respectively, much higher than most other parts in the world."