European Commission Vice-President Siim Kallas announced (20-Oct-2010) details of the European meeting to discuss future challenges for aviation at the first-ever meeting of the Aviation Platform. The Aviation Platform has been set up to give strategic advice to the Vice President, to establish the basis for a sustainable future for air transport and a competitive future for the European aviation industry. 15 representatives from airlines, airports, trade unions, air traffic management and the aviation industry were invited as members of the Aviation Platform. Main conclusions from the meeting include the need to:
- Ensure the full implementation of the Single European Sky (SES);
- Extend the work already being done by the European Commission to strengthen the possibilities for European aviation to enter new markets though the signing of bilateral agreements.
- Define an effective governance structure for the future deployment of SESAR (Singe European Sky Air Traffic Management Research), the technological arm of Single Sky.
- Extend SES principles to areas beyond the borders of the European Union
- Establish a high level group on aviation research to look into the specific challenges faced by aviation sector in this area. [more]