Cyprus Airways responded (03-Feb-2012) to media reports that the Cyprus Government, as major shareholder of Cyprus Airways Public Ltd, is ready to negotiate with a strategic investor or associate for the possible sale of even a majority stake, by stating "the issue has not been put into consideration so far". The carrier continued that its board of directors will examine the developments at a meeting scheduled for 07-Feb-2012, along with other issues concerning the company's capital. Reports in the Cyprus Times have noted that the Government was considering the sale of a majority stake in the carrier, with reports the Ministry of Finance had prepared a proposal to this effect. The Government currently owns 69.57% in the struggling carrier, with the remaining 30.43% owned by private investors. [more - original PR]
Cyprus Airways negotiations with strategic investors 'not been put into consideration'
You may also be interested in the following articles...
HNA's Avolon group to acquire CIT Commercial Air, creating world’s third largest aircraft lessor
HNA Group’s remarkable spending spree continues, with the announcement that its Avolon subsidiary will acquire CIT Commercial Air, the aircraft leasing arm of CIT Group.
The USD10 billion deal will create the world’s third largest lessor - and they may be more to come yet.
Avolon itself was only recently acquired by HNA Group, with the USD2.7 billion purchase agreement being finalised in Jan-2016, via Bohai Capital Holdings.
Avolon is now the core aircraft leasing brand for the HNA Group. Including assets from Hong Kong Aviation Capital, Bohai Capital and several smaller HNA Group leasing firms, Avolon has a fleet of nearly 250 aircraft and almost 200 more on order.
Jet2.com: growth mainly in Spain and Manchester. Overcapacity an issue, and competition strong
The strongly seasonal nature of Jet2.com's schedule and the financial performance of the airline and its parent Dart Group were examined in a Jul-2016 analysis report by CAPA. That report also noted that all of the increase in passenger numbers since the year to Mar-2013 was attributable to traffic booked via Dart Group's package holidays business – Jet2holidays.com.
This report looks in some detail at Jet2.com's network and how it has changed in the three years since summer 2013.
Over the past three years Jet2.com has increased its peak summer weekly seat capacity by one third. By airport, the biggest share of this incremental capacity has been at Manchester. By destination, the lion's share of its growth has been to Spain, where there is now a capacity glut. Its markets have become increasingly competitive – not only due to other LCCs, but also because of the growth of airlines owned by integrated leisure groups such as TUI and Thomas Cook.