Boeing formally launches 787-10
Boeing announced (18-Jun-2013) the launch of the 787-10, the third member of the 787 family. Commitments for 102 aircraft from five customers across Europe, Asia and North America. Customer launch commitments for the 787-10 include:
- Air Lease Corporation (30 aircraft);
- GE Capital Aviation Services (10 aircraft);
- International Airlines Group / British Airways (12 aircraft subject to shareholder approval);
- Singapore Airlines (30 aircraft);
- United Airlines (20 aircraft).
The new 787-10 will fly up to 7000nm, covering more than 90% of the world's twin-aisle routes, with seating for 300 to 330 passengers, depending on an airline's configuration choices. Design of the 787-10 has already started at Boeing, and international partners will be involved in detailed design in the months ahead. Final assembly and flight test of the 787-10 are set to begin in 2017, with first delivery targeted for 2018. Boeing Commercial Airplanes president and CEO Ray Conner said the aircraft is 25% more efficient than aircraft of its size today and more than 10% better than "anything being offered by the competition for the future." [more - original PR]