Established in Apr-1979, airberlin was a German full-service airline based at its hub of Berlin-Tegel Airport. The carrier was the second largest airline in Germany and formerly one of Europe’s largest air service providers. airberlin previously operated as a hybrid low-cost carrier with Germany, Austria and Switzerland as its core markets.
airberlin filed to commence insolvency proceedings on 15-Aug-2017, in order to continue with "the restructuring process that is already underway". The proceedings are due to Etihad Airways intending to no longer provide airberlin with financial support. airberlin stated Germany's Federal Government, Lufthansa and other partners are "supporting airberlin in its restructuring efforts", with the Federal Government offering an EUR150 million bridging loan to maintain flight operations. The airline confirmed it will no longer be a member of oneworld on 11-Oct-2017, and ceased service operations on 27-Oct-2017. The dissolution of airline operations, subject to approval, include the following:
- Under an EUR40 million agreement, easyJet takes over 25 A320 leases, along with slots and bookings at Berlin Tegel Airport;
- Deutsche Lufthansa AG acquires regional carrier Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter mbH (LGW) and NIKI from Air Berlin Group for a combined purchase price of EUR210 million, subject to European Commission approval;
- Berliner Zeitfracht Gruppe acquired Air Berlin PLC's freight subsidiary, Leisure Cargo;
- airberlin announced the sale of airberlin technik to a consortium comprising Nayak and Berliner Zeitfracht Gruppe;
- Belair Airlines was liquidated on 28-Oct-2017, despite airberlin's attempt to sell the carrier.
CAPA Profiles help you identify new business opportunities and make better business decisions, by providing accurate and up-to-date data on airports, airlines, suppliers, investors, MROs, lessors and countries/territories around the world. Each profile offers comprehensive news and analysis, as well as the ability to drill down into data on schedules, capacity share, fleet, traffic, financial results and more.Become a CAPA Member
Our full profiles are only available to CAPA Members. CAPA Membership provides exclusive access to the information you need to monitor the competitive landscape and guide your organisation towards success.
It’s ideal for industry analysts, managers and executives who need a snapshot of the latest news, analysis and data from our global team, with the ability to export or email PDF reports in one click.
- 5000+ airports
- 3000+ airlines
- 1600+ suppliers
- 800+ airport investors
- 250+ countries/territories and regions
- And more
CAPA Membership also gives you access to a customised selection of more than 400 global News Briefs every weekday, as well as a comprehensive Data Centre, Analysis Reports and Research Publications. You can also choose from our range of premium add-ons, including MRO Matrix, Route Maps, Fleet Data and more.