Established in Apr-1979, airberlin was a German full-service airline based at its hub of Berlin-Tegel Airport. The carrier was the second largest airline in Germany and formerly one of Europe’s largest air service providers. airberlin previously operated as a hybrid low-cost carrier with Germany, Austria and Switzerland as its core markets.
airberlin filed to commence insolvency proceedings on 15-Aug-2017, in order to continue with "the restructuring process that is already underway". The proceedings are due to Etihad Airways intending to no longer provide airberlin with financial support. airberlin stated Germany's Federal Government, Lufthansa and other partners are "supporting airberlin in its restructuring efforts", with the Federal Government offering an EUR150 million bridging loan to maintain flight operations. The airline confirmed it will no longer be a member of oneworld on 11-Oct-2017, and ceased service operations on 27-Oct-2017. The dissolution of airline operations, subject to approval, include the following:
- Under an EUR40 million agreement, easyJet takes over 25 A320 leases, along with slots and bookings at Berlin Tegel Airport;
- Deutsche Lufthansa AG acquires regional carrier Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter mbH (LGW) and NIKI from Air Berlin Group for a combined purchase price of EUR210 million, subject to European Commission approval;
- Berliner Zeitfracht Gruppe acquired Air Berlin PLC's freight subsidiary, Leisure Cargo;
- airberlin announced the sale of airberlin technik to a consortium comprising Nayak and Berliner Zeitfracht Gruppe;
- Belair Airlines was liquidated on 28-Oct-2017, despite airberlin's attempt to sell the carrier.
To have full CAPA Profile access you need a CAPA Membership
Your portal for aviation data
CAPA Profiles contain the most up to date news and analysis plus a comprehensive range of timely and reliable data including schedules, capacity share (passenger and cargo), fleet summary, traffic results (monthly and annual), financial results and more. Access Profiles for the latest statistics and insights on airlines, airports, suppliers, countries and regions.
I didn't realise all this traffic data was here. The data is much more up-to-date than the other results we usually use - I'll be using this from now on.- Air Services Development Manager, Airport Member.
Phone: +61 2 9241 3200 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org