Cargo and e-commerce proves more important than ever before
Airports and airlines with a cargo contribution have seen volumes and revenues increasing as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, with some having as much as 50% of revenues coming from cargo. This vital sector has been put at the forefront of thinking for the entire aviation industry which has resulted in new investment and management.
- Will we see further airport development in favour of freight on the long-term or will this be considered a short-term phenomenon?
- Could passenger infrastructure spend be substituted by cargo infrastructure?
- What methods of automation and digitalisation can be introduced to alleviate the dependency on people by carriers and airports in the freight segment?
- What can airports do to assist cargo operators in the way they organise the use of space?
- Does air cargo now have a legitimate place in the design of ‘airport cities’?
- In North America in particular it has been alleged that bigger freight aircraft have not always been catered to as well as they might be. What size of aircraft is going to be needed, going forward?