SAA's new strategy focuses on expanding African network and east-west connections
South African Airways (SAA) expects to report its third straight consecutive year of profit, achieving an unusual level of stability for a flag carrier that was in a near constant state of restructuring for most of the last decade. SAA is now starting to resume expansion, focusing primarily on growing its intra-African operation and offering new east-west connections. However, questions linger over the carrier’s ability to take on the rising Middle Eastern carriers as they continue their expansion into Africa. [3004 words]
Unlock the following content in this report:
- Four new African destinations planned by end of 2011
- Beijing service to be launched in 4Q2011 as part of new east-west focus
- Middle Eastern carriers pose big threat to SAA
- Domestic market over-crowded
- High international capacity for an 'end of the line carrier'
- New aircraft for replacement not growth
- New airport at Durban has limited international offering
- Is SAA’s new strategy enough?
Graphs and data:
- South African Airways international capacity (seats per week) by region, 18-Jul-2011 to 24-Jul-2011
- South African Airways top 10 international routes (seats per week), 18-Jul-2011 to 24-Jul-2011
- South African Trade Export by Country (ZAR ‘000)
- South African Trade Import by Country (ZAR ‘000)
- Middle Eastern carriers operating between the Middle East and Africa
- South African Airways international vs domestic capacity (seats) share
- “End of the line carriers” international vs domestic capacity (seats) share
- “End of the line carriers” capacity (ASKs per week) on top international and domestic routes
- South African Airways fleet
- South African Airways fleet data
- South African Airways fleet replacement
- Durban passenger numbers, Jan-2009 to Jun-2011
- Capacity (seats per week) on Durban's three international routes, 18-Jul-2011 to 24-Jul-2011
- Capacity (seats per week) on Durban's eight domestic routes, 18-Jul-2011 to 24-Jul-2011
- South African Airways Route Map
Please login to continue reading or find out more about CAPA Membership below.
This content is exclusively for CAPA Membership Subscribers
CAPA Membership gives you the latest aviation news and alerts, access to CAPA articles, reports, and our leading aviation data with optional premium add-ons.