American Airlines expecting improved consolidated revenue in 1Q2010
Airline shares were boosted by a forecast by AirlineFinancials.com founder, Bob Herbst, that US airline financial results should be reasonable this year if crude oil prices remain at or below USD85 per barrel. Herbst stated data indicated that the nine largest carriers in the US will post USD2.7 billion in profits on USD120 billion in operating revenue, just USD6 billion shy of 2008 operating revenues.
See related report: USD2.7 billion profit projected for US airlines in 2010 – Herbst
American Airlines expects 6.8-7.8% increase in consolidated revenue in 1Q2010
American Airlines (+0.8%) was up only slightly, despite stating during trading it expects consolidated unit revenue to increase between 6.8% and 7.8% for the three months ending 31-Mar-2010. AMR Corp also expects to report a cash and short-term investment balance of USD4.9 billion, including USD460 million in restricted cash and short-term investments, at the end of 1Q2010.
Delta and US Airways to provide AirTran, Spirit, JetBlue and WestJet with slots
Delta Air Lines (+4.0%) and US Airways (+2.4%) announced an agreement to transfer to AirTran (+1.4%), Spirit Airlines, JetBlue (+2.8%) and WestJet (+0.8%) 12% of the takeoff and landing slots involved in a previously announced transaction between the carriers at New York's LaGuardia and Washington's Reagan National airports. Under Delta and US Airways' original proposal, US Airways would transfer 125 operating slot pairs to Delta at LaGuardia and Delta would transfer 42 operating slot pairs to US Airways at Reagan National.
See related reports:
- JetBlue to maintain HQ in New York City; AirTran Union to take strike authorisation vote
- Delta and US Airways controls who gets slots in La Guardia, Washington National deal
Republic Airways (+6.1%) was the day’s biggest gainer, followed by United Airlines (+4.9%). FedEx (-1.5%) and Expressjet (-1.3%) were meanwhile two of the few carriers to witness a decline in share prices.
- AirTran's Air Line Pilots Association Union to take strike authoriation vote;
- ALPA requests National Mediation Board involvement in negotiations with Air Transport International;
- American Eagle Airlines announces nonstop jet service between Chicago O'Hare and Pensacola, Fla.;
- Southwest Airlines and United Airlines announced lobbying totals;
- Porter Airlines expands in Atlantic Canada with Moncton.
North & South America selected airlines daily share price movements (% change): 22-Mar-2010