Ireland’s DAA splits up at last – Shannon Airport to be independent
The Irish Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport announced on 03-Dec-2012 that the Government had decided to grant Shannon Airport “full independence” from the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) on 31-Dec-2012 and to merge the airport with a restructured Shannon Development Company to form a new, publicly-owned, commercial entity in 2013. Shannon’s traffic has been declining in recent years and its future had looked bleak.
The decision opens the way for a potential development opportunity in the cargo and logistics arena as well as the chance to capitalise on some recent good news about new routes following a terrible year of consistent double-digit decline. But, as is usually the case, not everyone is happy. And one aggrieved party, Knock Airport, would appear to have a case; one that is likely to be taken to the courts. [3219 words]
Unlock the following content in this report:
- Development Company was originally set up to promote the airport
- International aviation centre of excellence to create up to 3,500 jobs
- Seemingly eternal wait may at last be over for Lynxs
- Is 50% passenger growth target too ambitious?
- Knock-on effect
- More twists and turns to come?
Graphs and data:
- Shannon Airport network summary: as of 03-Dec-2012
- Shannon Airport capacity share (% of seats) by carrier: 03-Dec-2012 to 09-Dec-2012
- Shannon Airport capacity share (% of seats) by region: 03-Dec-2012 to 09-Dec-2012
- Shannon Airport capacity share (% of seats) by carrier type: 03-Dec-2012 to 09-Dec-2012
- Shannon Airport top 10 international routes based on capacity (seats): 03-Dec-2012 to 09-Dec-2012
- Shannon Airport international capacity share (% of seats) based on origin country : 03-Dec-2012 to 09-Dec-2012
- Knock Ireland West Airport network summary: as at 03-Dec-2012
- Knock Airport capacity share (% of seats) by carrier: 03-Dec-2012 to 09-Dec-2012
Please login to continue reading or find out more about CAPA Membership below.
This content is exclusively for CAPA Membership Subscribers
CAPA Membership gives you the latest aviation news and alerts, access to CAPA articles, reports, and our leading aviation data with optional premium add-ons.