Hong Kong Airlines focusing on improving regional network ahead of long-haul push mid decade
Hong Kong Airlines, controlled by the mainland’s HNA Group, is undergoing a reorganisation of its short- and medium-haul operations as it seeks to build and improve its regional network ahead of a push into long-haul international markets later this decade. The restructure by the closely held carrier aims to stem losses and focus on key business markets, to build its Hong Kong hub, ahead of the delivery of 10 A380s later in the decade. At the same time, as previously reported, Hong Kong Express is being converted into an LCC to differentiate itself from its sister airline Hong Kong Airlines.
Hong Kong Airlines, and to a lesser degree Hong Kong Express, have announced a number of route changes across the short-haul network in the past couple of months. New routes for Hong Kong Airlines are generally to be operated with a minimum daily frequency and are increasingly focusing on higher-yield business sectors, such as Hong Kong-Taipei Taoyuan. [2277 words]
Unlock the following content in this report:
- Chinese Mainland: Hong Kong Airlines and Cathay’s Dragonair to increasingly battle it out
- Hong Kong Airlines holds 4% of capacity but 10% of peak slots at Hong Kong Airport
- Order for 10 A380s confirmed, but IPO delayed
- Hong Kong Airlines seeking to boost competitiveness
Graphs and data:
- Hong Kong Airlines recent route announcements: Nov-2011 to Jan-2012
- Hong Kong Express route changes: Nov-2011 to Jan-2012
- Hong Kong Airlines international capacity by region: 16-Jan-2012 to 22-Jan-2012
- Hong Kong Express international capacity by region: 16-Jan-2012 to 22-Jan-2012
- Dragonair international capacity by region: 16-Jan-2012 to 22-Jan-2012
- Hong Kong International Airport schedule by class of seat (one-way weekly departing seats): 16-Jan-2012 to 22-Jan-2012
- Cathay Pacific, Dragonair and Hong Kong Airlines % peak slots and % capacity at Hong Kong International Airport: 16-Jan-2012 to 22-Jan-2012
- Hong Kong Airlines route network and competitors: Jan-2012
- Hong Kong International Airport share of aircraft movements (peak time system capacity): 16-Jan-2012 to 22-Jan-2012
- Hong Kong International Airport capacity by carrier (seats per week, system seats): 16-Jan-2012 to 22-Jan-2012
- Hong Kong International Airport seasonal slot availability chart as at Nov-2011
Please login to continue reading or find out more about CAPA Membership below.
This content is exclusively for CAPA Membership Subscribers
CAPA Membership gives you the latest aviation news and alerts, access to CAPA articles, reports, and our leading aviation data with optional premium add-ons.