China's Hainan Meilan International Airport announced the company entered into the conditional share transfer agreements with HNA Group and Kingward for the acquisition of 54.5% equity interests in HNA Airport. The agreement was signed on 25-Mar-2010. The company will acquire, at a total consideration of CNY2.2billion (USD322 million), CNY1.2 billion (USD177 million) for HNA Group Sale Shares and CNY989 million (USD145 million) for Kingward Sale Shares. The company shall pay 50% of the consideration as non-refundable prepayment to Kingward before 15-Jun-2010 and the remaining balance before 20-Dec-2010. 15% of the consideration will be paid to HNA Group within 10 days after the agreement becomes effective and with the remaining 85% to be paid within 30 days after the completion of the share transfer. [more]
Hainan Meilan Airport announces share agreements with HNA Group and Kingward
You may also be interested in the following articles...
Spring Airlines seeks to redefine itself in a more crowded Chinese LCC market
The company folklore of the Chinese low cost carrier Spring Airlines has become entrenched in aviation history, with photos of Spring staff on duty trips sharing hotel rooms while eating instant noodles.
For the Chinese market this thriftiness, and regular candid interviews with billionaire founder Wang Zhenghua, became synonymous with the growing number of budget flights on Spring Airlines. The public became educated about China's only notable LCC, which was markedly different from the cookie cutter format of full service domestic airlines.
But the spectrum of airlines in China is widening and Spring, now under the leadership of Stephen Wang, needs to reassert its position in the Chinese market.
Mr Wang addressed CAPA's Americas Aviation Summit in Orlando in Apr-2017. There are new LCCs and airlines transitioning to LCCs with different service levels, making Spring wonder if it should be an "ULCC". The reality of a government orchestrated market means Spring needs to consider widebody operations for domestic trunk routes, and possible long haul flying. Spring also needs to diversify its presence: its home hub of Shanghai is high yielding but this has invited envy, and an aviation hub overhaul could mean that LCCs are moved to a new and remote third airport in Shanghai.
China and France expand flights for airlines, giving China aeropolitical negotiating leverage
China and France have agreed to a significant expansion of flights between their countries. Chinese airlines, which have no more than 50 weekly flights to France, will be permitted to grow to 126 weekly flights within a few years. This tranche of rights will likely double the number of Chinese airlines in France (currently four) and take Chinese airlines to serving French cities other than Paris.
Air France will likely grow partnerships with SkyTeam's China members, although Air France will need to make concessions on its existing China JVs. It is unclear whether Air France will revisit considerations of investing in China Southern.
Chinese airlines will become France's second largest source of foreign long haul flights, and in the long term China could surpass the US. For China, France could become its third largest long haul market after the US and Australia. France is China's third major aeropolitical expansion in recent months, after the UK and Australia. This could give China leverage to press the US and Canada to expand traffic rights, although these markets are far more convoluted.