Condor Flugdienst

Full Service Carrier
International and Domestic
In service
Country/Territory: Germany


Founded in 1956, Condor Flugdienst GmbH is a German carrier operating passenger and freight services to destinations in Europe, Asia, Africa and North America. Following a merger with Thomas Cook Airlines UK, Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium and Thomas Cook Airlines Scandinavia in Oct-2013, the German carrier became an operating division of the Thomas Cook Group plc.

On 20-Sep-2019, Thomas Cook Group announced discussions with a range of key stakeholders and lending institutions to secure final terms on the recapitalisation and reorganisation of the group failed to reach an agreement. As a result, Thomas Cook's board concluded it has no choice but to enter compulsory liquidation. Thomas Cook confirmed that all the UK companies in its group have ceased trading, including Thomas Cook Airlines. 

Condor stated its flight operations will continue despite Thomas Cook Group plc filing for insolvency. The German airline secured a commitment from the German government for a state-guaranteed, six month bridging loan of EUR380 million, which was subsequently approved by the European Commission.

Polish Aviation Group was selected as the preferred bidder for acquisition on 24-Jan-2020. The transaction was expected to close by Apr-2020 following antitrust approvals. Polish Aviation withdrew its bid on 13-Apr-2020.
On 28-Jul-2021, Condor announced Attestor formally acquired a 51% stake in the carrier. The remaining 49% stake in the carrier will remain with SG Luftfahrtgesellschaft, held on behalf of the German Federal Government and the Government of the State of Hesse.

CAPA Profiles

CAPA Profiles help you identify new business opportunities and make better business decisions, by providing accurate and up-to-date data on airports, airlines, suppliers, investors, MROs, lessors and countries/territories around the world. Each profile offers comprehensive news and analysis, as well as the ability to drill down into data on schedules, capacity share, fleet, traffic, financial results and more.

Become a CAPA Member

Our full profiles are only available to CAPA Members. CAPA Membership provides exclusive access to the information you need to monitor the competitive landscape and guide your organisation towards success.

It’s ideal for industry analysts, managers and executives who need a snapshot of the latest news, analysis and data from our global team, with the ability to export or email PDF reports in one click.

  • 5000+ airports
  • 3000+ airlines
  • 1600+ suppliers
  • 800+ airport investors
  • 250+ countries/territories and regions
  • And more

CAPA Membership also gives you access to a customised selection of more than 1,000 global News Briefs every week, as well as a comprehensive Data Centre, Analysis Reports and Research Publications. You can also choose from our range of premium add-ons, including Route Maps, Fleet Data and more.