Recorded at CAPA Airline Leader Summit, 11-12 May 2017
Boardroom Session: Investing In Airlines And Travel Across Borders - How Valuable Is Equity In The Search For Partnership Solutions?
Etihad's investment in Alitalia, airberlin, Jet Airways and five others, as well as AirAsia’s cross-border JVs have helped redefine the definitions of partnership and alliance. HNA Group, which has bought stakes in LATAM Group, Virgin Australia; Qatar Airways, with investments in IAG and LATAM; Delta in Virgin Atlantic CIT Group on the aircraft side and Hilton on the hotel side. For now it is mostly airlines investing in other airlines, where potential synergies arise.
- Will there be more international investments in airlines?
- Is the China investment model (investing across various travel brands) another way of the future? eg can airlines help to grow the travel category, and thereby move more people around the world? According to the WSJ, Chinese overseas investments have hit USD199 billion in 2016.
- ACI Europe, Director General, Olivier Jankovec
- Aeroflot, Deputy General Director for Strategy & Alliances, Giorgio Callegari
- airBaltic, CEO and Chairman of the Board, Martin Gauss
- Aviation Strategy & Concepts, Managing Director, Ulrich Schulte-Strathaus
- European Aviation Club, Chairman, Rigas Doganis
- European Commission, Director General MOVE, Henrik Hololei
- KLM, President & CEO, Pieter Elbers
- Irish Aviation Authority, Chief Executive, Eamonn Brennan