SpiceJet: Exploring the opportunities of Indian consolidation
SpiceJet announced in Feb-09, that it will look at opportunities to acquire other airlines as the Indian aviation market consolidates over the next 12 to 24 months. CEO, Sanjay Aggarwal, stated, “the landscape is too small for so many players.” The Indian market currently comprises five LCCs and three full service carriers. Mr Aggarwal added, “if the right opportunity is presented, SpiceJet could be a buyer.” [650 words]
Unlock the following content in this report:
- Passenger traffic improves and is down just 2.0% in Jan-09
- Remains optimistic for launch of international services in 2010
- Discounting activity ceased
Graphs and data:
- India domestic capacity breakdown by carrier (seats per week as % of total)
- SpiceJet passenger traffic and growth rate (% change year-on-year): Feb-08 to Jan-09
- Select Indian carrier load factors in Jan-09
Please login to continue reading or find out more about CAPA Membership below.
This content is exclusively for CAPA Membership Subscribers
CAPA Membership gives you the latest aviation news and alerts, access to CAPA articles, reports, and our leading aviation data with optional premium add-ons.