New Board Members for TIA
They represent the Air Transport and Surface Transport divisions respectively.
Mr Thompson replaces Geoff Burns, who has stood down as chairman after five years in the position but continues as a board member, representing the Tourism Services division.
The new directors are Jill Birch, who will represent the Activities and Shopping division, Chris Black, Hospitality division, and Karine Thomas, General Industry. Their appointments were announced at TIA's annual general meeting today.
The new board boasts increased representation from the accommodation sector and capital investors.
Jill Birch is responsible for the Marketing, Loyalty, Sponsorship and Group Sales functions across SKYCITY's New Zealand businesses.
Since joining SKYCITY in 1997, Jill has led the establishment and development of many brand and capital development initiatives, including the Sky Tower visitor experience, the Convention Centre and the new five-star Grand Hotel. She is a member of the Rugby World Cup 2011 Tourism Working Party.
She now operates a marketing and PR business dedicated to small to medium tourism accommodation providers and tourism experiences, Navigate South and Navigate Publicity. Navigate South represents 20 New Zealand luxury lodges and upmarket bed and breakfasts.
Chris Black is Managing Director of The Mount Cook Hotel Collection, comprising the Godley Resort in Lake Tekapo, the Mackenzie County Inn in Twizel and the Countrytime Hotel and Heritage Gateway Hotel, both in Omarama. He has had a long career in hotel management in New Zealand and overseas.
Chris is also a Director of The Mackenzie District CouncilÕs Tourism and Development Board.
Directors who have been re-elected to the board are:
- Geoff Gabites, Manager, Adventure South (Adventure Tourism division)
- Stuart Neels, Managing Director, Australian Travel Services (Pacific) Ltd, (Distribution division)
- Warren Harford, Managing Director, Agrodome (General Industry)
- Grant Lilly, Regional General Manager NZ & Pacific Islands, Qantas (General Industry)
- Elizabeth Boyer, Group HR Manager, Ngai Tahu Tourism Ltd (Human Resources and Education division)
- Ian Bougen, Chief Executive, Christchurch & Canterbury Tourism (Regional division)