The carrier's quarterly financial highlights were as follows:
- Revenue: USD425.2 million, +0.5% year-on-year;
- Operating costs: USD403.4 million, +11%;
- Operating profit (loss): (USD53.5 million), compared with a loss of USD14.7 million in p-c-p;
- Net profit (loss): (USD42.9 million), compared with a loss of USD16.5 million in p-c-p;
- Market share: 38.2%, -2.0 ppts;
- Passenger load factor: 76.7%, -4.5 ppts.
El Al CEO, Elyezer Shkedy, said: "Profitability was also hurt by the erosion in the dollar's exchange rate, the timing of the Passover holiday which occurred in the second quarter and not the first, and a substantial increase in competition. We are implementing a plan to lower costs, including reducing the fleet of fuel-inefficient planes and strengthening our technological innovation."
Its shares fell 4.2% yesterday.
Selected EAD daily share price movements (% change): 26-May-2011
Want more analysis like this? CAPA Membership gives you access to all news and analysis on the site, along with access to many areas of our comprehensive databases and toolsets.
Find out more and take a free trial.