Construction starts on terminal building for Tokyo Narita's 'reliever' airport
Ibaraki Airport, a new civil airport being developed at Hyakuri Military Base northeast of Tokyo, has commenced construction of its passenger terminal building. The USD26 million project, which will be handled by the Ibaraki Prefecture Development Public Corporation, is expected to be completed by Dec-09. The airport is aiming to serve as a secondary airport in the Tokyo Metropolitan area, which currently lacks lower cost alternatives to Narita and Haneda.
Unlock the following content in this report:
- Not awash with LCCs
- 80 minutes by car from central Tokyo
- Previous 'third Tokyo airport' proposals included a floating one in Tokyo Bay
- Narita-Tokyo high-speed rail link considered
Graphs and data:
- Narita International Airport financial highlights: Six months ended 30-Sep-08 (all figures USD, million)
- Narita International Airport revised financial outlook: 12 months ending 31-Mar-09 (all figures USD, million)
- Tokyo Narita Airport passenger numbers and passenger numbers growth: Oct-07 to Sep-08
Please login to continue reading or find out more about CAPA Membership below.
This content is exclusively for CAPA Membership Subscribers
CAPA Membership gives you the latest aviation news and alerts, access to CAPA articles, reports, and our leading aviation data with optional premium add-ons.