Garuda Group, a Spanish airport construction group, is preparing to start three large construction projects in Vietnam, valued at USD15 billion (Viet Nam News, 21-Jan-2010). The following projects are planned:
- International HCM City-Long Thanh Airport: USD6 billion programme. An MoU has been signed to undertake a feasibility study and develop a Master Plan with Viet Nam’s Southern Aviation Corporation.
- Ha Noi International Airport: USD8 billion prgramme aimed at creating Asia's largest airport. MoU signed with the Airport Design Construction Consultancy. To be designed by multi-national companies, including Spanish Galo Architects and Italian AIG. Garuda will have the rights for operation and management for 30 years. To be developed over three stages:
- Phase I: 2011-2015. USD4 billion investment. Capacity of 480 flights per day, 35 million passengers p/a;
- Phase II: 2015-2018. USD1.5 billion investment;
- Phase III: USD2.5 billion investment. Capacity of 80 million passengers p/a by 2035.
- Chu Lai International Airport: Located in central Viet Nam, with investment capital of more than USD1 billion. Agreement signed with the Middle Airport Corporation. Chu Lai is expected to be larger than neighbouring Da Nang Airport, it is an important gate to central Viet Nam and other economic zones. Chu Lai will be built to have annual capacity of 2.3 million passengers and 1.5 million tonnes of cargo p/a by 2015 and 4.1 million passengers and 5 million tonnes of cargo p/a by 2025.