Century Tokyo Leasing Corp, a unit of Itochu Corp, will reportedly acquire a 16.7% stake in Jetstar Japan from Mitsubishi Corp, which has a 33.4% stake in the carrier. According to The Nikkei reports, the remaining 66.6% of shares are equally split between Japan Airlines and Qantas Airways, although if Century Tokyo acquires the stake from Mitsubishi, Japan Airlines and Qantas Airways will become the two largest shareholders. The company hopes to create synergies with its aircraft leasing and car rental operations through the acquisition.
Century Tokyo Leasing to acquire 16.7% stake in Jetstar Japan from Mitsubishi Corp: report
You may also be interested in the following articles...
China-Japan aviation: LCCs Peach, Jetstar Japan gain traffic rights, raising overcapacity concerns
Jetstar Japan and Peach Aviation have received air traffic rights for China which, if utilised, would grow the Japanese LCC footprint in China – Japan's largest visitor source market. Spring Japan became the first Japanese LCC to serve China in Feb-2016. The absence of Japanese LCCs in China may seem surprising, but there are regulatory hurdles, market access questions and conservatism at Japanese LCCs. AirAsia Japan, launching in 2017, will likely leverage the group's China experience; it is the largest non-greater China airline group serving China.
The prospect of further growth comes as incumbents cite overcapacity. What was once a profitable market now only produces returns in the peaks. All Nippon Airways, the largest airline between Japan and China, reported lower revenue on the back of "a deterioration in the supply-demand environment". Spring China has told Bloomberg that some competitors "aren't well-prepared", and will be "phased out". Overall Japanese LCC routes and capacity may be small but will be watched by Chinese airlines, ever mindful of the need to find new business models.
CAPA Perspectives: Japan-Australia hits the accelerator to become the fastest growing market
After being quiet for so long, Japan is moving quickly. Seat capacity between Australia and Japan has increased by 35.6% to be the largest international growth market for Australia so far in 2016. The increase can be attributed to Qantas’ expansion of its Japanese operations with the addition of Brisbane-Tokyo Narita, while ANA returned to Sydney from Haneda in late 2015.