United Airlines announced (30-Aug-2012) plans to deploy new Boeing 787 aircraft on domestic routes from Nov-2012 as it prepares to commence previously-announced international service in Dec-2012 and Jan-2013. United expects to take delivery of the first five new 787s in 2012 from its total order for 50 of these aircraft. As the initial aircraft are inducted into the fleet, they will be based at United’s Houston hub and will enter into service according to the following schedule:
- Late Sep-2012: First 787 delivery;
- Oct-2012: Proving/validation flights and training activities that allow United to meet FAA certification requirements and prepare United to become the first North American operator for this new aircraft type. Second 787 delivery;
- Nov-2012: Scheduled commercial flights from Houston to other US hubs. Third and fourth 787 deliveries expected;
- Dec-2012: Scheduled commercial flights from Houston to other US hubs. Fifth 787 delivery expected. First international service on 04-Dec-2012;
- Jan-2013: Commencement of scheduled commercial flights on additional international routes as announced on 23-Aug-2012.
United will phase in scheduled 787 service between Houston and each of its other domestic hubs beginning 04-Nov-2012, with the aircraft to operate more than 470 domestic sectors in the two months of 2012 in addition to international services from early Dec-2012 as follows:
- Houston Intercontinental-Chicago O’Hare: 787-8 equipment to operate six times weekly from 04-Nov-2012 to 03-Dec-2012. Aircraft to operate daily from 04-Jan-2013 to 29-Mar-2013;
- Houston Intercontinental-Cleveland: One-off 787-8 service on 10-Nov-2012;
- Houston Intercontinental-Denver: Daily 787-8 service from 05-Dec-2012 to 02-Jan-2013 and from 31-Mar-2013;
- Houston Intercontinental-Los Angeles: Six times weekly from 04-Nov-2012 to 03-Dec-2013 and daily from 04-Jan-2013 to 31-Mar-2013;
- Houston Intercontinental-Newark: Daily 787-8 service from 04-Nov-2012 to 03-Jan-2013 expect for 18-Nov-2012;
- Houston-San Francisco: Five times weekly 787-8 service from 04-Nov-2012 to 02-Dec-2012 and daily from 03-Dec-2012 to 03-Jan-2013;
- Houston Intercontinental-Washington Dulles: One-off 787-8 service on 17-Nov-2012.
The carrier's 787 aircraft are configured with 36 first, 72 business and 111 economy seats. [more - original PR]