Malaysia Airports Holdings reported (04-May-2012) passenger numbers at its airports increased 6.0% year-on-year to 5.7 million in Mar-2012 while 1Q2012 passenger numbers increased 6.5% to 16.0 million. Garuda Indonesia, Cathay Pacific, Lion Air, China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, Kalstar Airlines, Finair Sky Aviation and Bangkok Airways operated new flights, charters or additional frequencies to Kuala Lumpur International Airport in 1Q2012 while Firefly and AirAsia operated additional frequencies to its other airports and MASWings commenced new operations to Brunei, Pontianak and Tarakan from Kota Kinabalu, Kuching and Tawau from Feb-2012. Malaysia Airports Holdings added its airports would have achieved higher traffic growth if not for the capacity cuts by domestic carriers on several routes, although foreign carriers have absorbed some of this capacity. The airport operator expects the current growth momentum will at least continue for the remainder of this year. Traffic details are as follows:
- Passenger numbers: 5.7 million, +6.0% year-on-year;
- Cargo volume: 79,171 tonnes, -3.9%;
- Aircraft movements: 54,142, +1.0%;
- Three months ended 31-Mar-2012:
- Passenger numbers: 16.0 million, +6.5%;
- cargo volume: 211,111 tonnes, -1.4%;
- Aircraft movements: 157,577, +3.2%.