Japan's Tourism White Paper FY2011 revealed it failed to clear all of the five targets set for 2010 (Nikkan Koku, 15-Jun-2011)
- The number of foreign travellers to Japan: 8,611,000, fewer than the target of 10 million;
- The number of Japanese overseas travellers: 16,637,000, fewer than the target of 20 million;
- Consumption by domestic tourism: JPY22.1 trillion, falling short of the JPY30 trillion target;
- The number of nights stayed: 2.39 nights, compared with the target of 4 nights;
- The number of international conventions in 2009: 246 events, slightly below the target of 252.