Hong Kong Airlines – a name to watch in the coming years
Hong Kong Airlines, a relatively unknown Hong-Kong based carrier, has shown in the past few months that it intends to increase its profile in the market and position itself to better compete with Hong Kong giant, Cathay Pacific. The carrier last month at the Farnborough Air Show announced a new order for ten aircraft and the conversion of an order from A330 to A350XWB equipment. The order was made less than a month after the launch of the carrier’s first long-haul services to Europe, with the carrier confirming that it is committed to an international network expansion, not only within Asia but to destinations in Europe and North America. [2121 words]
Instantly get access to this article now for USD15.00.
This report contains the following subheadings:
- Streamlining the relationship with HK Express: distinction between cargo and passenger operations
- Hong Kong Airlines signs MoU for 15 A350s; ten more A330s
- Expanding freight fleet too
- GFC affects expansion plans
- To challenge Cathay on some key routes
- Overlapping network on 13 routes: HK Airlines targeting the big Cathay routes
- But remains small player in Cathay-dominated Hong Kong market
- Expand network into Europe and North America
- Hainan Airlines seeking to join global alliance, Cathay reportedly still an obstacle
- Conclusion: Small carrier with ambitious growth plans
This report contains the following charts and tables:
- Hong Kong Airlines fleet details: Aug-2010 (Farnborough Order in Bold)
- Hong Kong Airlines order backlog: 2010 to 2015
- Hong Kong Airlines aircraft delivery schedule: 2010 to 2015
- Hong Kong Airlines fleet composition: Aug-2010
- Hong Kong Airlines aircraft delivery schedule: 2010 to 2015 (as of Nov-2009)
- Hong Kong Airport capacity share (seats per week as % of total)
- Cathay Pacific/Dragonair and Hong Kong Airlines/Hong Kong Express destinations by capacity (seats): Sep-2010
- Hong Kong Airlines/Hong Kong Express recent route additions
CAPA Help Centre
- Forgotten your password?
- Forgotten your CAPA Membership level?
- Contact us today about a CAPA Membership quote!
Telephone: +61 2 9241 3200