European airline shares had a mixed day in trading, despite the strong recovery seen in airline shares in the US, thanks mostly to an easing of crude oil futures.
Norwegian Air Shuttle shares rose 3.7%, with the carrier reporting higher Feb-2011 passenger traffic although continued falls in yield. Air France-KLM shares were also stronger, with the airline reporting 5.7% growth in passenger traffic last month. Turkish Airlines shares were up 2.5%. The carrier has signed a firm order for the purchase of 10 A321s and three A330-200Fs to meet their growth plans in the passenger and cargo markets.
Finnair reported the following traffic highlights in Feb-2011:
- Passenger numbers: 585,000, +2.1% year-on-year;
- Passenger load factor: 73.3%, -6.9 ppts;
- Domestic: 53.6%, -8.1 ppts;
- Europe: 60.5%, -5.6 ppts;
- North America: 70.2%, -4.9 ppts;
- Asia Pacific: 74.4%, -11.0 ppts;
- Cargo volume: 10,445 tonnes, +33.8%;
- Cargo load factor: 63.4%, -9.1 ppts.
- Passenger numbers: 5.1 million, +5.7% year-on-year;
- Passenger load factor: 77.6%, -0.1 ppt;
- Europe: 66.4%, +2.8 ppts;
- America: 78.3%, -1.7 ppts;
- Asia Pacific: 84.6%, -1.5 ppts;
- Africa and Middle East: 74.6%, -0.8 ppt;
- Caribbean and Indian Ocean: 85.6%, +1.6 ppts;
- Cargo traffic (FTKs): -3.1%;
- Cargo load factor: 67.6%, -3.2 ppts.
Norwegian Air Shuttle reported the following traffic highlights in Feb-2011:
- Passenger numbers: 935,488, +12% year-on-year;
- Passenger load factor: 76%, stable;
- Yield*: EUR6.18 cents, -6%;
- Revenue per ASK: EUR4.64 cents, -6%;
- On-time departure rate: 82.8%.
* Based on the conversion rate EUR1 = NOK7.764
Selected EAD daily share price movements (% change): 08-Mar-2011
Want more analysis like this? CAPA Membership gives you access to all news and analysis on the site, along with access to many areas of our comprehensive databases and toolsets.
Find out more and take a free trial.