The result, in one of the slowest quarters of travel in the Russia calendar, follows the strong 2010 result when passenger traffic was up 26.2% to 56.95 million, according to Rosaviatsia figures. 2010 passenger traffic figures across Russian airlines and airports were inflated following a deep economic downturn in the country in 2009. 1Q2011 traffic figures demonstrate a slowing of growth, but one that still indicates a burgeoning air transport market.
In the three months ended 31-Mar-2011, Rosaviatsia reported the following traffic highlights:
- Passenger numbers: 11.1 million, +10.1% year-on-year;
- Domestic: 6.0 million, +10.3%;
- International: 5.1 million, +9.9%;
- Passenger load factor: 72.0%, -1.6 ppts;
- Domestic: 65.4%, -3.1 ppts;
- International: 77.0%, -0.4 ppts;
- Cargo volume: 206,461 tonnes, +7.8%;
- Domestic: 56,398 tonnes, +10.6%;
- International: 150,063 tonnes, +6.8%.
Top five airlines by passenger number:
- Aeroflot–Russian Airlines Passenger numbers: 2.8 million, +18.8% year-on-year;
- Passenger load factor: 74.0%, +1.1 ppts;
- Transaero Passenger numbers: 1.3 million, +9.2% year-on-year;
- Passenger load factor: 76.7%, -4.2 ppts;
- Siberia Airlines Passenger numbers: 1.0 million, +3.0% year-on-year;
- Passenger load factor: 70.6%, -1.2 ppts;
- UTair Passenger numbers: 948,737, +0.4% year-on-year;
- Passenger load factor: 68.6%, -3.3 ppts;
- Nordwind Airlines Passenger numbers: 303,602, +47.5% year-on-year;
- Passenger load factor: 93.5%, +2.5 ppts.
Aeroflot remains clear market leader
National carrier Aeroflot remains the clear market leader. The airline has a much larger international reach than rivals and extensive domestic network challenged only by oneworld member S7. The airline is also part of SkyTeam and attracts additional traffic through its alliance ties.
Aeroflot passenger numbers Jan-2009-Jan-2011
Aeroflot’s major hub airport, Moscow Sheremetyevo, has also enjoyed strong growth since 2009.
Moscow Sheremetyevo passenger traffic Jan-2009 – Mar-2011
Rosaviatsia reported the following top five airlines by cargo volume:
- AirBridgeCargo Cargo volume: 74,338 tonnes, +27.0% year-on-year;
- Load factor: 72.4%, -1.4 ppts;
- Aeroflot – Russian Airlines Cargo volume: 33,683 tonnes, +14.3% year-on-year;
- Load factor: 59.8%, +0.7 ppts;
- Volga-Dnepr Airlines Cargo volume: 15,717 tonnes, -43.2% year-on-year;
- Load factor: 53.4%, -6.7 ppts;
- Polet Airlines Cargo volume: 15,282 tonnes, +54.3% year-on-year;
- Load factor: 45.6%, +4.6 ppts;
- Transaero Cargo volume: 9,186 tonnes, +40.0% year-on-year;
- Load factor: 59.2%, -6.2 ppts.
Want more analysis like this? CAPA Membership gives you access to all news and analysis on the site, along with access to many areas of our comprehensive databases and toolsets.
Find out more and take a free trial.