South Korean LCCs - The end comes for Hansung Airlines
Cheongju-based LCC, Hansung Airlines, South Korea’s first LCC, ceased operations on 18-Oct-08 “for now”, due to worsening economic conditions, increasing fuel costs, a weakened Korean won and difficulties in securing funding or an investor willing to acquire the carrier. Hansung has suspended its domestic services between Seoul Gimpo, Jeju Island and Cheongju-Jeju. [1532 words]
Unlock the following content in this report:
- LCCs fail to report profits in South Korean market
- Jin Air sets sights on international expansion from Sep-08; fleet expansion to proceed in next six months
- Expects to reported operating loss of USD6.0 million in first seven months of operations
- Air Busan signs codeshare agreement with parent
- Jeju Air to further expand international operations
- Korean domestic aviation market: becoming of the most competitive in the world
- Planned South Korean LCCs
Graphs and data:
- South Korea domestic capacity breakdown by carrier (seats per week as % of total): Week commencing 20-Oct-08
- South Korean carriers fleet size and orders
Please login to continue reading or find out more about CAPA Membership below.
This content is exclusively for CAPA Membership Subscribers
CAPA Membership gives you the latest aviation news and alerts, access to CAPA articles, reports, and our leading aviation data with optional premium add-ons.