Frankfurt (Fraport) - Under an international bidding procedure, the Indian government has contracted a consortium comprising Fraport AG to modernize, expand and operate Delhi Airport (DEL).
The consortium will soon own 74 percent of the shares in India's second largest airport. State-owned Airports Authority of India (AAI) will own the remaining 26 percent. Fraport, with a 10 percent stake in the joint venture, will take over the role of airport operator at Delhi – where it will be utilizing its extensive airport expertise developed over the past 80 years.
One of Fraport's partners in the consortium is the Indian-based GMR Group, which is active in the energy sector, provides financial services, and already has a contract for developing and operating the new airport in Hyderabad. Other consortium partners include the Indian investment fund IDF, as well as Malaysian Airport's Niaga subsidiary. which will provide its experience in airport retailing.
During the last business year, Delhi Airport welcomed more than 13 million passengers, handled some 320,000 metric tons of cargo, and recorded more than 100,000 takeoffs and landings.
Located about 15 kilometers from Delhi's city center, the airport features two runways and two terminals (domestic and international). The airport is served by about 50 airlines.
Fraport is a CAPA Member. For more information on the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation's membership service, please click the icon below.
Want more analysis like this? CAPA Membership gives you access to all news and analysis on the site, along with access to many areas of our comprehensive databases and toolsets.
Find out more and take a free trial.