India's Foreign Investment Promotion Board stated (08-Oct-2013) it would consider a proposal on 18-Oct-2013 from Singapore Airlines to establish an Indian airline in a JV with the Tata Group. As previously reported, Tata and Singapore Airlines plan to form a full-service airline based in New Delhi. The companies will initially invest a combined USD100 million to start the carrier, with Tata owning 51% and Singapore Airlines the remaining 49%. [more - original PR]
India Foreign Investment Promotion Board to consider Singapore Airlines-Tata JV plan on 18-Oct-2013
You may also be interested in the following articles...
Australia-India air travel market grows rapidly but SE Asian hubs hinder nonstop services
The Australia-India market has experienced rapid growth over the last three years, prompting Australia to lobby for more direct services. Visitor arrivals from India are up 50% since mid-2013, and total passenger traffic between the two countries is up approximately 30%.
Air India launched services to Melbourne and Sydney in 2013 but the Australia-India market is still dominated by Southeast Asian flag carriers. Singapore Airlines has been able to maintain a leading 41% share of the market. Malaysia Airlines also still carries more Australia-India passengers than Air India.
Attracting more nonstop flights from Air India, or the possible launch of nonstop flights to India by Australian carriers, will not be easy despite growing demand. Southeast Asia’s network airlines have a competitive advantage as they serve several gateways in both Australia and India. Southeast Asia’s growing medium/long haul LCCs have also started to compete in the Australia-India market and are well positioned to take a large share of the anticipated growth.
Scoot 2017 outlook: challenging market conditions and Europe launch could impact profitability
Singapore Airlines (SIA) medium long haul LCC subsidiary Scoot faces a potentially challenging 2017 as it launches flights to Europe and merges with the short haul LCC Tigerair. Scoot is also planning a series of network and schedule adjustments, which are critical to the future success of the European routes and long-term profitability.
Scoot has been successful in the initial four and a half years since its mid-2012 launch, becoming profitable in a relatively quick timeframe and unlocking a new phase of growth for the SIA Group. However, 2017 will bring intense competition and ambitious expansion in markets that are not likely to be profitable in the short to medium term.
Scoot’s newfound profitability could be at risk due to yield pressures, higher fuel costs and expenses related to new long haul route launches. Scoot and its ongoing integration with Tigerair are necessary strategically, and should improve the SIA Group’s long-term position, but the short-term outlook is relatively cloudy.