A&F Aviation Co, the LCC JV being established by All Nippon Airways, stated (13-Apr-2011) it has submitted its application, required by the Civil Aeronautics Act, for an Air Operators Certificate to the Civil Aviation Bureau of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. This is the first of a number of major milestones for A&F Aviation as it accelerates its start-up activities in preparation for the proposed launch of commercial services. Routes from its home base of Kansai International Airport are anticipated to be Sapporo/Shin-Chitose and Fukuoka no later than Mar-2012 and Seoul Incheon in May-2012 using A320-200 aircraft, configured with 180 seats. A&F Aviation believes that their new LCC will contribute to creating new cultural links between Japan and Asia as well as promoting economic growth in the region. A&F Aviation intends to make a further announcement in May-2011 detailing its branding. A&F Aviation is 33.4% owned by ANA. The remaining 66.6% stake is split equally between First Eastern Investment Group and public-private investment fund Innovation Network Corp. [more]
ANA LCC files operator's certificate application
You may also be interested in the following articles...
SunExpress: "Lufthansa's biggest strategic project"
The Turkish leisure airline SunExpress and its German subsidiary SunExpress Germany have historically had a fairly low profile, certainly among European air travellers. Nevertheless, their combined total of 7.9 million passengers puts SunExpress in the top 20 European airline groups in 2016, ahead of Brussels Airlines.
Jointly owned by Turkish Airlines and Lufthansa, SunExpress and its German counterpart brought about a consolidated result that fell into loss in 2016 as passenger numbers and revenue both declined. When the observer scratches beneath the surface of the headline figures, a picture of significant strategic change at SunExpress Germany starts to emerge.
The larger Turkish SunExpress has maintained its focus on Turkey-Germany routes, whereas SunExpress Germany has abandoned this country pair. It has instead developed leisure routes from Germany to elsewhere in Europe and in North Africa, in spite of not having an obvious competitive advantage in those markets. Within these new market areas, SunExpress Germany has undergone substantial changes in its route portfolio. Lufthansa wetleases capacity from SunExpress Germany for its Eurowings low cost operation and this may help to make some sense of these outwardly random network changes.
LOT Polish Airlines: new LA service highlights value of long haul; short haul heat from LCCs remains
On 3-Apr-2017 LOT launched its longest direct service, between Warsaw and Los Angeles, deploying Boeing 787-8 aircraft. Los Angeles is LOT’s fourth North American destination and its first regular service to any US west coast destination. It is also the only direct flight anywhere between Central Europe and the US west coast. Warsaw-Newark and Krakow-Chicago route launches will follow later in summer 2017.
As it is with its other long haul routes, which also include three Asian destinations, LOT is aiming the new LA service not only at O&D traffic from Warsaw, but also squarely at passengers travelling to Southern California from across the Central European region. LOT is the only significant long haul operator in the region and the only one serving Los Angeles. Its Warsaw Chopin hub is the only airport between Vienna and Moscow with more than 1,000 long haul flights per year.
On short/medium haul, competition from LCCs Ryanair and Wizz Air is intense. Both have more seat capacity in Poland than LOT, whose new unbundled fare structure reflects the need to adopt some of their tactics. Long haul, where there is far less competition for LOT, is set to remain its strategic growth priority.