Kazakhstan aviation: Air Astana sixth freedom traffic drove growth in 2017, despite slow outbound

Passenger growth has resumed in Kazakhstan, driven by a surge in visitor numbers and sixth freedom traffic. The domestic and outbound international markets remain relatively weak, impacted by a sluggish economy.

Air Astana recorded double-digit passenger growth in 2017, for the first time in four years. Sixth freedom transit traffic grew by more than 50%, driving 12% overall growth, and now accounts for 35% of the flag carrier’s international traffic.

Kazakhstan’s second largest airline, SCAT, grew at even faster rate of approximately 30%. SCAT accounted for nearly 20% of total passenger traffic in Kazakhstan in 2017, while the market leader Air Astana accounted for nearly 50%.

This CAPA Premium Analysis article is 1,548 words.

To access CAPA Premium Analysis you need a CAPA Membership

Your window into the latest insights

CAPA employs an industry-leading Analyst team based in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia who offer unique perspectives and independent and accurate commentary of critical industry developments globally. CAPA Members rely on our Analysis to unlock valuable insights and actionable intelligence to keep ahead of the game.

Big picture strategic view

Our Analysts don’t just report the news - they take a big picture strategic view of aviation dynamics, issues and trends and analyse the implications of these developments for you.

Global intelligence

The CAPA Analyst team is based globally to ensure our CAPA Members have access to independent, unique perspectives covering an entire spectrum of daily, worldwide commercial aviation developments.

Customise your Alerts

CAPA Members can use CAPA Alerts to receive daily, weekly or monthly and customised updates on our Analysis.

I'm very impressed by the factual and detailed analysis CAPA is always doing.

- CEO, Airline Member
To learn more, contact us:
Phone: +61 2 9241 3200 | Email: membership@centreforaviation.com