C919 no threat to Airbus/Boeing order backlog in China
CAAC Administrator Li Jiaxiang stated China will not reduce its orders for Boeing and Airbus aircraft as he believes locally produced aircraft are "still far away from satisfying domestic needs". The CAAC will decide the scale of production for the C919, being developed locally by COMAC, as the programme progresses over the next five years.
Also in China, Harbin Hafei Airbus Manufacturing Centre commenced operation on 28-Feb-2011. The plant will manufacture and assemble airframe parts for Airbus widebody aircraft. The facility will produce belly fairing parts, cabin doors, and other airframe parts for the A350 XWB and A320. Airbus holds a 20% stake in the venture while Chinese partners, including Harbin Aircraft Industry Group CO, hold the remaining 80%.
Louis Gallois, CEO of Airbus parent EADS, stated the loss of the US aerial tanker contract to Boeing was a “missed opportunity” and the company may look to acquire more companies for its military business, to reduce its reliance on commercial aerospace. Thales has been identified as a company of interest.
Selected Aerospace daily share price movements (% change): 28-Feb-2011