Shares in Spain’s Ferrovial, owner of UK airports operator BAA, gained 1.2% yesterday, upon the release of its traffic report for UK airports. BAA CEO, Colin Matthews, stated that London Heathrow Airport remains “resilient”, while other airports are showing “encouraging signs”. However, Mr Matthews admits “traffic remains depressed”.
Passenger numbers across BAA’s airports increased 2.4% year-on-year, while cargo volumes surged 23.3% year-on-year in Feb-2010. London Stansted continued to experience pressure on passenger traffic in the month, details include:
- Passenger Numbers: 7.1 million, +2.4% year-on-year;
- Cargo volume: 130,581 tonnes, +23.2%;
- Heathrow: 113,021 tonnes, +24.1%;
- Stansted: 15,437 tonnes, +23.7%;
- Aircraft movements: 67,509, -0.2%;
- Heathrow: 35,061, +2.1%;
- Stansted: 10,534, -1.0%.
Frankfurt International Airport not quite out of the red
Frankfurt International Airport also felt the pressure of a decline in passenger numbers in Feb-2010, down 1% to 3.3 million. However, cargo volumes at the airport improved by 28.2% to 166,625 tonnes. Shares in the operator of Frankfurt Airport, Fraport, were up 0.9% yesterday.
Denmark sees recovery in domestic market
In Denmark, Copenhagen International Airport reported a strong increase in domestic traffic in Feb-2010, with a 30.3% year-on-year improvement in domestic passenger numbers, while international passengers also grew to 1.3 million (+8.0%). Shares in the airport closed 1.2% higher yesterday.
The full traffic reports of Fraport and Copenhagen International Airport are featured today in Airport Business Daily – your key resource for traffic and financial highlights of global airports, also including today:
- Largarde 2009 financials;
- JCDecaux 2009 financials;
- Manchester Airport reports 11% drop in Feb-2010 pax numbers;
- Aeroporti di Roma reports 6% rise n Feb-2010 pax numbers;
- Norwegian airports passenger traffic rose 5% in Feb-2010;
- Turkish Airport Authority reports passenger numbers increased 29.2% for the first 2 months in 2010;
- ACI-Europe reports 4% rise in Jan-2010 pax numbers;
- Ben Gurion Airport reports 21% rise in Feb-2010 pax numbers;
- Daytona Beach International Airport reports 15% rise in Feb-2010 pax numbers.
Selected airports daily share price movements (% change): 10-Mar-2010