European airlines are reporting significant increases in passenger numbers, reflecting last year's ash cloud-related airspace shutdowns.
International Airlines Group (IAG) reports (06-May-2011) the following consolidated traffic highlights in Apr-2011:
- Passenger numbers: 4.4 million, +17.5% year-on-year;
- Domestic (UK and Spain): 918,000, -4.2%;
- Europe: 1.9 million, +24.9%;
- North America: 692,000, +32.3%;
- Latin America and Caribbean: 395,000, +25%;
- Africa and Middle East: 339,000, +12.1%;
- Asia Pacific: 121,000, +30.3%;
- Passenger load factor: 79.7%, +1.7 ppts;
- Domestic (UK and Spain): 75.3%, +5.0 ppts;
- Europe: 74.7%, +1.7 ppts;
- North America: 83.1%, +2.6 ppts;
- Latin America and Caribbean: 81.9%, -0.1 ppt;
- Africa and Middle East: 76.3%, +1.1 ppts;
- Asia Pacific: 79.8%, -0.5 ppt;
- Cargo traffic (FTKs): +19.8%.
IAG stated group premium traffic for the month of April grew by 40.0% compared with the previous year, with 22.6% growth in non-premium traffic". Its shares gained 3.3%.
SAS' shares soared 10.6% as it reported the following traffic highlights in Apr-2011:
- Passenger numbers: 2.2 million, +44.1% year-on-year;
- Scandinavian Airlines: 1.9 million, +40.3%;
- Wideroe: 196,000, +57.3%;
- Blue1: 169,000, +81%;
- Passenger load factor: 74.4%, +4.7 ppts;
- Scandinavian Airlines: 75.5%, +5.1 ppts;
- Wideroe: 60.5%, +6.0 ppts;
- Blue1: 66.6%, +2.1 ppts.
SAS stated: "During Mar-2011, currency adjusted RASK was down 3.4% and yield was down 0.1%, in line with guidance. The improvement in yield compared with previous months reflects a positive mix, especially on the new added capacity. For Apr-2011, passenger yield (change vs last year) is expected to be in line with March, but due to improvement in the load factor in April as a result of ash cloud effects, RASK (change) is expected to be even higher."
Selected European airlines daily share price movements (% change): 06-May-2011
Want more analysis like this? CAPA Membership gives you access to all news and analysis on the site, along with access to many areas of our comprehensive databases and toolsets.
Find out more and take a free trial.