Laos market poised for major shake-up as Lao Airlines doubles capacity following delivery of A320s
Laos is poised for unprecedented change as flag carrier Laos Airlines prepares to launch new international routes and up-gauge several existing routes following delivery of two new A320s. As a result, total capacity at Lao Airlines will almost double in 4Q2011 and capacity in the entire Lao market will surge by 50%. For most countries the impact from two additional narrowbodies would be just a drop in the bucket, but for the smallest market in ASEAN and the region’s smallest flag carrier there are huge ramifications. [3127 words]
Instantly get access to this article now for USD15.00.
This report contains the following subheadings:
- Lao Airlines A320s to be used on Singapore, Kunming, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh services
- A320s to allow Lao Airlines to maintain leadership position when new Luang Prabang airport opens
- Prospect of new local competition for Lao Airlines
- A320s capacity will be challenging to fill
- Implications for ASEAN
- Lao Airlines domestic capacity to surge by 87%
- Lao Airlines' international market share to increase from 39% to 53%
- Lao Airlines' share of the key Vientiane-Bangkok route to increase from 32% to 49%
- Singapore becomes new transit point for long-haul passengers heading to Laos
- Laos-China market has big potential
This report contains the following charts and tables:
- Current capacity to/from/within Laos by carrier (seats per week, 29-Aug-2011 to 4-Sep-2011)
- Planned capacity to/from/within Laos by carrier for Nov-2011 (seats per week, 7-Nov-2011 to 13-Nov 2011)
- Laos Airlines’ current route network
- ASEAN's 10 aviation markets
- Lao Airlines’ current fleet
- Capacity from Bangkok to Vientiane (one-way seats per week) for 4-Jul-11 to 19-Feb-12
- Capacity from Vientiane to Hanoi (seats per week, one way) for 4-Jul-11 to 19-Feb-12
CAPA Help Centre
- Forgotten your password?
- Forgotten your CAPA Membership level?
- Contact us today about a CAPA Membership quote!
Telephone: +61 2 9241 3200