The African economy is projected to grow 4.8% in 2010 following 2.9% growth in 2009. West Africa shows up as the strongest region with foreign interest in petroleum development. Boeing's forecast calls for the delivery of more than 700 aircraft with a value of approximately USD80 billion for the African market over the next 20 years.
Unlisted South African Airways reports (13-Sep-2010) the following financial updates for the 12 months ended 31-Mar-2010:
- Revenue: USD3,124 million. -15% year-on-year;
- Operating costs: USD2,941 million, -13.9%;
- Profit before tax: USD83.5 million, +40.6%;
- Net profit: USD81.4 million, +45%;
- Passenger numbers: 6.7 million, -2.4%;
- Domestic: n/a, -6%;
- International: n/a, -5%;
- Regional: n/a, +9%;
- Cargo volume: 119,000 tonnes, -14%;
- On-time performance: 85%;
- Operating cash flow: USD238.1 million, compared with a negative cash flow of USD252.1 million in p-c-p.
See related CAPA profile: Financial Results
Selected African and Middle Eastern airlines share price movements (% change): 21-Sep-2010
Want more analysis like this? CAPA Membership gives you access to all news and analysis on the site, along with access to many areas of our comprehensive databases and toolsets.
Find out more and take a free trial.